Calculating Jet Aircraft Velocity: Trig Method vs Actual Result Explained

• Thread starter ms. confused
  • Start date
In summary, to ensure the accuracy of your experiment, follow the outlined procedures and double check your measurements and data collection methods. If your results are unexpected, double check your procedures and consider possible sources of error. Making mistakes during experiments is normal and can lead to valuable insights. To ensure reliable data, use appropriate controls and replicate experiments multiple times. Seek guidance from mentors and experienced scientists if unsure about next steps, and regularly review and discuss progress with your team.
ms. confused
Hello! Could someone tell me if I'm doing this right?

A jet aircraft is traveling at 310m/s at 35 degrees south of east. What is the southern component of its velocity?

I used trig to calculate it:

cos35= x/310
310cos35 = x
254 m/s= x

Apparently the answer is supposed to be 178 m/s. What, if anything, did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
use sin instead of cos

Wow, ok, thanks that really helped!

Related to Calculating Jet Aircraft Velocity: Trig Method vs Actual Result Explained

1. How do I know if I am doing my experiment correctly?

To ensure that you are doing your experiment correctly, make sure to carefully follow the procedures outlined in your experimental design. Double check your measurements and data collection methods, and always refer back to the experimental protocol if you have any doubts.

2. What should I do if my results are not what I expected?

If your results are not what you expected, don't panic. First, double check your procedures and make sure you followed them correctly. If you did, then consider possible sources of error in your experiment, such as faulty equipment or inaccurate measurements. It may also be helpful to consult with other scientists or your mentor for their insights.

3. Is it normal to make mistakes during experiments?

Yes, making mistakes during experiments is a normal part of the scientific process. Even the most experienced scientists make mistakes, and these can often lead to valuable insights and discoveries. It is important to learn from your mistakes and use them to improve your experimental methods.

4. How do I know if my data is reliable?

To ensure the reliability of your data, it is important to use appropriate controls and replicate your experiments multiple times. This will help to minimize the effects of random variability and ensure that your results are consistent and accurate. It is also important to carefully record your data and use statistical analysis to validate your findings.

5. What should I do if I am unsure about the next steps in my experiment?

If you are unsure about the next steps in your experiment, don't hesitate to seek guidance from your mentor or other experienced scientists. They can provide valuable insights and help you to plan the best course of action. It is also important to regularly review and discuss your experimental progress with your team to ensure that everyone is on the same page.