Calculating Mass Density of a Steel Sphere | Help Needed!

• Thread starter derivethis
  • Start date
In summary, the mass density of the steel sphere was calculated to be 0.0079 g/cm^3, which resulted in a percent error of almost 100%. However, upon further examination, it was discovered that the diameter of the sphere may have been incorrectly measured, leading to a possible factor of 10 error in the calculations. Recalculating the density using a diameter of 12.65mm may result in a more accurate value.
derivethis
Hi all! This is my first post here. I have a question regarding how to calculate the mass density of a steel sphere. Any help is much appreciated!

Homework Statement

The mass of the sphere is equal to 8.4 grams. The volume of the sphere is equal to 1060 cm^3.

Homework Equations

The mass was found during our lab experiment. The volume was calculated from the equation: V = (4/3) pi R^3. The diameter of the sphere was 12.65 cm. Therefore, I calculated the volume as follows: (4/3) pi (12.65/2)^3 = 1060 cm^3.

The Attempt at a Solution

Mass density is equal to mass/volume; therefore it should be 8.4g/1060cm^3 = 0.0079gm/cm^3. However, I'm also supposed to calculate the percent error for my lab report, and the "true" value for the mass density of steel is given as 7.9 gm/cm^3. Percent error is equal to (|Accepted - Measured|)/Accepted * 100, which, in this case, would be (|7.9 - 0.0079|)/7.9 * 100 = 99.9%. This gives me a percent error of almost 100%! What am I doing wrong in my calculations? Please help! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you have your units right?

1 gram = 10^-3 kg. And 1 cm^3 = 10^-6 m^3.

so 1 g/cm^3 = 10^-3 / 10^-6 kg/m^3 = 10^3 kg/cm

so your 0.0079 g/cm^3 = 7.9 kg/m^3.

Your volume is about 1000 cm3, which is 1 liter. Does that sound right?

Thank you for your replies!

l'Hôpital: I think that I'm supposed to keep the units in grams/cm^3. I think my lab group and I must have made some sort of error in lab, which, of course, I can't correct now. We had to use a micrometer to determine the diameter of the steel sphere, and I just now realized that there's no way that the diameter of the sphere was 12.65 centimeters since the sphere was tiny and 1 inch = 2.54 cm. Hmm ... I wonder if it should be 12.65 mm instead. I believe that when we used the micrometer, we had to take it out to the number 10 mark in order for the sphere to fit inside. Does anyone know what this means? Thank you!

derivethis said:
Thank you for your replies!

l'Hôpital: I think that I'm supposed to keep the units in grams/cm^3. I think my lab group and I must have made some sort of error in lab, which, of course, I can't correct now. We had to use a micrometer to determine the diameter of the steel sphere, and I just now realized that there's no way that the diameter of the sphere was 12.65 centimeters since the sphere was tiny and 1 inch = 2.54 cm. Hmm ... I wonder if it should be 12.65 mm instead. I believe that when we used the micrometer, we had to take it out to the number 10 mark in order for the sphere to fit inside. Does anyone know what this means? Thank you!
That doesn't really tell us much unless we would have access to the same kind of micrometer you used.

There's a decent chance that your measurement of the diameter was off by a factor of 10 - that's a relatively common mistake to make. So it might have been 12.65mm. Based on your memory of what the sphere looked like, does 12.65mm seem like a reasonable value for its diameter? If so, try recalculating the density using that diameter and see what you get.

1. What does "This is supposed to be simple" mean?

"This is supposed to be simple" is a phrase that conveys frustration or confusion when something that is expected to be easy or straightforward turns out to be more complicated than anticipated.

2. Why is it important to keep things simple in science?

Keeping things simple in science is important because it allows for clear communication and understanding of complex concepts. Simple explanations are also easier to replicate and verify, which are crucial aspects of the scientific method.

3. How can I make my scientific research simpler?

One way to make scientific research simpler is to break down complex ideas into smaller, more manageable pieces. This can also involve using simpler language and avoiding unnecessary technical jargon. Collaborating with other scientists can also help simplify research by bringing in different perspectives and expertise.

4. What are some common challenges when trying to simplify scientific concepts?

Some common challenges when trying to simplify scientific concepts include finding the right balance between simplifying too much and oversimplifying, as well as ensuring accuracy and avoiding misconceptions. It can also be difficult to simplify concepts without losing important details or nuances.

5. How can I effectively communicate complex scientific ideas in a simple way?

Effective communication of complex scientific ideas in a simple way requires a thorough understanding of the topic and the ability to break down and organize information in a clear and concise manner. Using visual aids, analogies, and relatable examples can also help make complex concepts more accessible to a wider audience.