Calculating max. speed of car over humpback bridge before it leaves the ground?

In summary: I understand now.In summary, the maximum speed for a car to safely travel over a humpback bridge of radius of curvature 45m is 21 m/s, calculated at the apex of the bridge. This is determined by equating the weight of the car to the centripetal force, and solving for velocity. Any other point on the bridge will have a lower maximum speed due to the decreasing component of weight acting towards the center of the circle.
Sleve123

Homework Statement

A car travels over a humpback bridge of radius of curvature 45m, what is the max speed it can reach before the wheel lose contact with the road?

Homework Equations

mg - R = (mv^2) / r

The Attempt at a Solution

When the car is about to lose contact with the road R tends to zero therefore:

mg = (mv^2) / r

v = (rg)^0.5

v = (450)^0.5 = 21 m/s

The problem I have with this in my head is that this answer seems to only have been resolved when the car is a the peak of the bridge.

For example if the car is somewhere else other than the top, the reaction force would be perpendicular to the tangent, and the component of weight would be opposite this, so:

mgcos(x) - Rcos(x) = (mv^2) / r

where x is the angle between the vertical and the raius at that point,

I just don't understand, could somebody explain.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sleve123 said:

Homework Statement

A car travels over a humpback bridge of radius of curvature 45m, what is the max speed it can reach before the wheel lose contact with the road?

Homework Equations

mg - R = (mv^2) / r

The Attempt at a Solution

When the car is about to lose contact with the road R tends to zero therefore:

mg = (mv^2) / r

v = (rg)^0.5

v = (450)^0.5 = 21 m/s

The problem I have with this in my head is that this answer seems to only have been resolved when the car is a the peak of the bridge.

For example if the car is somewhere else other than the top, the reaction force would be perpendicular to the tangent, and the component of weight would be opposite this, so:

mgcos(x) - Rcos(x) = (mv^2) / r

where x is the angle between the vertical and the raius at that point,

I just don't understand, could somebody explain.
You're half right. The quantity on the RHS of your final equation is the centripetal force, yes? This acts perpendicular to the tangent, toward the centre of the circle. Therefore, you need only consider the components of force parallel and anti-parallel to the centripetal force. The normal reaction force always acts perpendicular to the surface, but as you correctly note, the weight of the car always acts vertically down, so you need to resolve this into the component parallel to the centripetal force.

Does that make sense?

Hootenanny said:
You're half right. The quantity on the RHS of your final equation is the centripetal force, yes? This acts perpendicular to the tangent, toward the centre of the circle. Therefore, you need only consider the components of force parallel and anti-parallel to the centripetal force. The normal reaction force always acts perpendicular to the surface, but as you correctly note, the weight of the car always acts vertically down, so you need to resolve this into the component parallel to the centripetal force.

Does that make sense?

So Rcos(x) would just be R? the thing is with this I think is that the further from the peak of the bridge you get, the smaller the component of mg is acting towards the centre, therefore a smaller speed (v) is needed, which to me doesn't make sense (mainly because there is no mention of this in my worked example I've got).

Sleve123 said:
So Rcos(x) would just be R? the thing is with this I think is that the further from the peak of the bridge you get, the smaller the component of mg is acting towards the centre, therefore a smaller speed (v) is needed, which to me doesn't make sense (mainly because there is no mention of this in my worked example I've got).
That is indeed correct. However, you are only interested in the velocity at the top of the bridge since this is when your car will leave the bridge. That is why there is no need to consider any point other than the apex. Besides, it would be physically impossible for a car to drive over a truly semi-circular bridge :wink:

I think my problem is assuming that the car could take off at any point as it was going up the humpback, as long as it had enough speed.

For example if you take a point before the apex and instantly accelerate the car up to a large speed along the tangent - it would leave the track, you could do this with smaller and smaller speeds until it stays on the track and that would be your velocity for that point.

Why would it only leave the track at the apex?

Sleve123 said:
I think my problem is assuming that the car could take off at any point as it was going up the humpback, as long as it had enough speed.

For example if you take a point before the apex and instantly accelerate the car up to a large speed along the tangent - it would leave the track, you could do this with smaller and smaller speeds until it stays on the track and that would be your velocity for that point.

Why would it only leave the track at the apex?
Technically, the maximum speed for the car to be undergoing circular motion in [itex]v_\text{max} = \sqrt{rg\cos\theta}[/itex], where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angular position of the car. However, as you are given no information regarding the initial starting point of the car, it is safe to assume that the question is asking for the maximum speed at the apex. Technically, the question should have stated this.

Hootenanny said:
Technically, the maximum speed for the car to be undergoing circular motion in [itex]v_\text{max} = \sqrt{rg\cos\theta}[/itex], where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angular position of the car. However, as you are given no information regarding the initial starting point of the car, it is safe to assume that the question is asking for the maximum speed at the apex. Technically, the question should have stated this.

Thanks

1. What is the formula for calculating the maximum speed of a car over a humpback bridge?

The formula for calculating the maximum speed of a car over a humpback bridge is V = √(g * R * tanθ), where V is the maximum speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), R is the radius of the bridge, and θ is the angle of the bridge.

2. How does the angle of the humpback bridge affect the maximum speed of the car?

The angle of the humpback bridge has a direct impact on the maximum speed of the car. As the angle increases, the maximum speed of the car decreases. This is because a steeper angle means the car has to overcome a greater gravitational force, which requires more speed.

3. Can the weight of the car affect the maximum speed over the humpback bridge?

Yes, the weight of the car can affect the maximum speed over the humpback bridge. A heavier car will require more speed to overcome the gravitational force and reach the maximum speed. However, the effect of weight on the maximum speed is relatively small compared to the effect of the bridge angle.

4. Is there a limit to the maximum speed a car can reach over a humpback bridge?

Yes, there is a limit to the maximum speed a car can reach over a humpback bridge. This limit is determined by the angle of the bridge and the gravitational force acting on the car. If the car exceeds this maximum speed, it will become airborne and potentially crash.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when calculating the maximum speed of a car over a humpback bridge?

Yes, safety precautions should always be taken when calculating the maximum speed of a car over a humpback bridge. This includes thoroughly understanding the physics involved, using accurate measurements, and considering the weight and condition of the car. It is also important to perform these calculations in a controlled environment and never attempt to exceed the maximum speed limit in a real-life scenario.