Calculating Maximum Altitude and Time in Air for a Weather Rocket

• Thread starter jdhutto
  • Start date
In summary, a 200kg weather rocket with 100kg of fuel is fired straight up and accelerates at 35.0 m/s^2 for 34.0 seconds before running out of fuel. The equations of kinematics can be used to find the rocket's maximum altitude and the total time it is in the air. The mass of the rocket is not necessary for solving this problem.
jdhutto

Homework Statement

A 200kg weather rocket is loaded with 100 kg of fuel and fired straight up. It accelerates upward at 35.0 m/s^2 for 34.0 s, then runs out of fuel. Ignore any air resistance effects.

What is the rocket's maximum altitude?

How long is the rocket in the air?

Homework Equations

Kinematics

The Attempt at a Solution

I know i need to break the rocket into 2 sections and deal with each seperatly but I am not sure which equations to use and how to set them up?

Physics news on Phys.org
The mass is just extra data, you don't need to know it. Find how fast it is going after the fuels acceleration and then you can find out how high it goes and then you can add up the total time.

I think I understand that but what equations will help me get closer to the solution in each case?

Related to Calculating Maximum Altitude and Time in Air for a Weather Rocket

1. What is the problem that you need help with?

The problem that I need help with is [insert specific problem here].

2. Have you tried any solutions or methods to solve the problem?

Yes, I have tried [insert solutions/methods here], but they have not been successful in fully solving the problem.

3. How urgent is this problem?

The urgency of this problem varies depending on the specific situation. However, I am seeking help in order to find a solution as soon as possible.

4. What resources or tools do you currently have to work on this problem?

I have access to [insert resources/tools here] which I have been using to work on this problem.

5. Are there any specific constraints or limitations for solving this problem?

Yes, there are some constraints and limitations that I am facing in solving this problem. These include [insert constraints/limitations here].