Calculating Momentum and Mass after a Collision

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving two objects with known momentum and velocity colliding with each other, and finding the mass of a third object after a subsequent collision. The solution involves using the equation p=m*v to calculate the mass of the second object, and using the conservation of momentum principle to find the mass of the third object. After solving, it is determined that the mass of the second object is 160kg and the mass of the third object is 800/5 = 160kg as well.
hatekhaos

Homework Statement

The problem states that an object moving at a momentum of 800 m/s( calculated by mass of 80kg x 10 m/s) collides with another object. Both objects are moving forward at 5 m/s. What is the mass of the second object? While moving the objects hit another object moving at 5 m/s in the opposite direction. After the collision they all stop. What is the mass of the 3rd object

Homework Equations

p=m*v

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part I did Momentum=Mass X Velocity. Since the mass of the first object is known and momentum is conserved I got:
p=m*v
p=m*5
800=m*5
m= 800/5
m=160kg
The mass of the second object is 160kg

Now for the 3rd part where they hit an object and stop. The mass of the 3rd object would need to be the same as the combined mass of object 1 and 2. I cannot figure out the equation for this nor do I know if I am on the right track with the solution from part 2. Of course if that is wrong then the entire solution would be wrong.
Thank you in advance for any guidance.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are units missing.
hatekhaos said:
Is that really the mass of the second object? After the first collision, both the first and the second object are moving at 5 m/s.
hatekhaos said:
Now for the 3rd part where they hit an object and stop. The mass of the 3rd object would need to be the same as the combined mass of object 1 and 2.
Correct.
hatekhaos said:
I cannot figure out the equation for this
You can solve it similarly to the first collision, but I guess just arguing with symmetry should be fine.

hatekhaos said:

Homework Statement

The problem states that an object moving at a momentum of 800 m/s( calculated by mass of 80kg x 10 m/s)
You mean that the momentum is 800 kg m/s
collides with another object. Both objects are moving forward at 5 m/s. What is the mass of the second object?

While moving the objects hit another object moving at 5 m/s in the opposite direction. After the collision they all stop. What is the mass of the 3rd object

Homework Equations

p=m*v

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part I did Momentum=Mass X Velocity. Since the mass of the first object is known and momentum is conserved I got:
p=m*v
p=m*5
m*5 is the momentum of the second object only, not the total momentum of both objects. The total momentum of both objects is 80*5+ m*5= 800. Solve for m.

800=m*5
m= 800/5
m=160kg

Now for the 3rd part where they hit an object and stop. The mass of the 3rd object would need to be the same as the combined mass of object 1 and 2. I cannot figure out the equation for this nor do I know if I am on the right track with the solution from part 2. Of course if that is wrong then the entire solution would be wrong.
Thank you in advance for any guidance.
The total momentum of the first two masses is, from above 800 kg m/s. Taking the mass of the third object to be M, its momentum is -5M kg m/s so the total momentum, before the collision is 800- 5M kg m/s. After the collision they are stopped so the total momentum is 0.
800- 5M= 0. Solve for M.

Thank you for the help!

Related to Calculating Momentum and Mass after a Collision

1. What is momentum and why is it important in a collision?

Momentum is a measurement of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. In a collision, the total momentum of the objects involved must be conserved, meaning that before and after the collision, the total momentum remains the same. This is important because it helps us understand and predict the outcome of collisions.

2. How do you calculate the momentum of an object?

The momentum of an object can be calculated by multiplying its mass in kilograms by its velocity in meters per second. The formula for momentum is: p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. What is the equation for calculating the mass after a collision?

The equation for calculating the mass after a collision is m2 = (m1 * v1 + m2 * v2) / v2, where m1 and v1 are the mass and velocity of the first object, and m2 and v2 are the mass and velocity of the second object.

4. Can the mass of an object change after a collision?

In most cases, the mass of an object will not change after a collision. However, if the collision involves a nuclear reaction or a change in the object's state of matter, such as a gas turning into a liquid, then the mass may change.

5. How does the conservation of momentum apply to collisions?

The conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. In the case of a collision, the total momentum of the objects before the collision must equal the total momentum after the collision, even if the objects' individual momentums change. This principle allows us to calculate the velocities and masses of the objects after the collision.