How can I accurately measure the force applied to my door to calculate its mass?

• Thread starter yasar1967
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for calculating the mass of a wooden room door without taking it off its hinges. The person is considering using torque and angular acceleration formulas, but is unsure about accurately measuring the force applied. Suggestions are made for using a spring balance or a dynamometer, and the conversation ends with the person stating their interest in physics as a hobby.
yasar1967
I am trying to calculate the mass of my wooden room door without taken them off their hinges using the torque and angular acceleration formulas.
I have ang. acc. (how much time passed calculated when door passed certain radian by certain push from me).
Rotational inertia is calculated by treating the door as flat area (metal locking has been taken into consideration -but not the friction force from hinges, I guess they're well oiled and fraction can be neglected, right?)

The problem is the force I applied. How can I measure it accurately?
If I could find a way to do it I can easily measure the door's mass.
:grumpy:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
How about a spring balance?

elaborate please

Look it up. It's a spring with some form of attachment at either end and a calibrated gauge in the middle to show how much the spring is stretched (hence reading off the force via Hooke's law).

there is a way to measure the mass of the door without measuring force. however, it still requires a strong spring:

Simple Harmonic oscillation.

you just need to know k, and then count the period!

taking the door off the hinges and putting it on a weight scaler would be easier perhaps but that's NOT the point, this method can be applied to situations where no other way of calculation is possible. Besides, it's fun.

Why do you want to do this determination? Is it for a school project?

I study Physics at leisure. It's my hobby. Solving problem and contemplating about the world we live in makes me feel good, that's all.

1. How do I calculate my door's mass?

To calculate your door's mass, you will need to measure its weight in either pounds or kilograms. This can be done by using a scale or by using the formula: mass = weight/acceleration due to gravity. The standard acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s^2 or 32.2 ft/s^2.

2. What is the formula for calculating mass?

The formula for calculating mass is mass = weight/acceleration due to gravity. This formula is used to determine the amount of matter in an object and is typically measured in kilograms (kg) or pounds (lbs).

3. Is the mass of a door important to know?

Yes, knowing the mass of a door is important for a variety of reasons. It can help with determining the strength and stability of the door's materials, as well as its overall weight for installation and transportation purposes. It can also be useful for calculating the door's center of mass for proper placement and balance.

4. Can I estimate the mass of a door?

Yes, you can estimate the mass of a door by using its weight and the standard acceleration due to gravity. However, for a more accurate measurement, it is recommended to use a scale or consult the door's manufacturer for the exact mass.

5. Does the material of the door affect its mass?

Yes, the material of the door can greatly affect its mass. For example, a door made of solid wood will have a different mass than a door made of hollow metal. The density and thickness of the material will also impact the door's mass.