Calculating Objective Lens Focal Length for Compound Microscope

• Thread starter thundercats
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Microscope
In summary, the conversation is about determining the focal length of the objective lens of a compound microscope. The given information includes the length of the barrel, the distance of the specimen from the objective, and the focal length of the eyepiece. The conversation involves using the equation (1/Do)+(1/Di)= (1/f) and the position of the intermediate image to solve for the focal length. The conversation ends with the person thanking the other for their help.
thundercats

Homework Statement

The barrel of a compound microscope is 14.8 cm in length. The specimen will be mounted 1.03 cm from the objective, and the eyepiece has a 4.92 cm focal length. Determine the focal length of the objective lens

Homework Equations

(1/Do)+(1/Di)= (1/f)

The Attempt at a Solution

what did was i added 1.03 with 13.8 to get the distance of object from the eye piece. then i plugged the numbers in the equation ( with the focal point of the eye piece) to get the distance of the image from the eyepiece. then i used the image distance i got and subtracted it from the 14.8 to get the image distance from the objective lense to the image and i plugged into solve for f. but my answer comes down to be .99 cm which is wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
thundercats said:
… what did was i added 1.03 with 13.8 to get the distance of object from the eye piece. then i plugged the numbers in the equation ( with the focal point of the eye piece) to get the distance of the image from the eyepiece. then i used the image distance i got and subtracted it from the 14.8 to get the image distance from the objective lense to the image and i plugged into solve for f. but my answer comes down to be .99 cm which is wrong

Hi thundercats! :smile:

I can't really tell what you did without seeing your equations …

but you don't seem to have used the position of the intermediate image. :confused:

i think i see what you are saying but now I am more confused. this is how i have started to set it up again. what i don't seem to understand is how to use the 14.8 which is the length of the barrel. I am not sure if I am suppose to use it to find Df (distance of final image)or something
(1/1.03)+(1/Di1)=(1/F1)
(1/Di1)+(1/Df)=(1/4.92)

thundercats said:
… what i don't seem to understand is how to use the 14.8 which is the length of the barrel.

14.8 is the sum of two of the distances. :smile:

hmm. by saying its the sum of the two distances I am assuming ur saying that its the distance between the two lenses of the compund microscope so i guess i can plug that into my 2nd equation making it look like this
(1/Di1)+(1/14.8-Di1)=(1/4.92)
am i close :D. by the way how do u know to reply back to my posts i was just wondering :D

there is still something wrong with it i can't figure out what i was thinking maybe the sign has to be negetive since the final image is going to be to the left of the second lens meaning
(1/Di1)-(1/14.8-Di)=(1/4.92)

Just got up … :zzz:
thundercats said:
hmm. by saying its the sum of the two distances I am assuming ur saying that its the distance between the two lenses of the compund microscope so i guess i can plug that into my 2nd equation making it look like this
(1/Di1)+(1/14.8-Di1)=(1/4.92)
am i close :D. by the way how do u know to reply back to my posts i was just wondering :D

That's right. :smile:

It should work … show us what you got.

(everyone gets email notification of any thread they've posted in :wink:)

ur da man thnx for ur help

Related to Calculating Objective Lens Focal Length for Compound Microscope

What is a compound microscope?

A compound microscope is a type of microscope that uses multiple lenses to magnify a sample or specimen. It typically has two or more lenses, known as the objective and the eyepiece, and can achieve higher magnifications than a simple microscope.

What are common problems that can occur with a compound microscope?

Some common problems with a compound microscope include blurry images, difficulty focusing, and incorrect magnification. Other issues may include misalignment of the lenses, dirty or damaged lenses, or improper lighting.

How can I fix a blurry image on my compound microscope?

To fix a blurry image, try adjusting the focus knobs to bring the sample or specimen into focus. If this does not work, check the lenses for dirt or damage and clean them if necessary. You may also need to adjust the light source or change the magnification.

Why is proper lighting important for a compound microscope?

Proper lighting is important for a compound microscope because it affects the clarity and contrast of the image. Insufficient lighting can result in a dim or blurry image, while too much light can cause glare or wash out the image. It is important to adjust the lighting to optimize the image quality.

What should I do if my compound microscope is not working?

If your compound microscope is not working, check for any obvious issues such as loose or disconnected parts, damaged lenses, or improper lighting. If you cannot identify the problem, consult the microscope's user manual or contact a professional for assistance.