Calculating Potential Difference for a Bird on a Power Line

In summary, the problem involves a bird perching on a power line with a current of 720A and a resistance of 80μΩ/m. The potential difference between the bird's feet can be calculated using r = p * (L/A), where r is the resistance, p is the resistivity, L is the distance between the bird's feet, and A is the cross sectional area of the wire. Since the potential of the bird is the same as the wire, it should not be electrocuted.
Wnt2bsleepin
A bird, whose feet are 3cm apart, perches on a bare "High tension" power line carrying a
current of 720A. If the wire has a resistance of 80μΩ/m, calculate the potential difference between the bird's feet. Do you think the bird will be electrocuted?

r = p * (L/A)

I have the problem set up as (8 * 10^-5Ω/m) * (.03m/A). I don't know what to put for the area since the cross section hasn't been given. I am aware that the bird should not be electrocuted since its potential is the same as the wire, so there should be no current.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wnt2bsleepin said:
A bird, whose feet are 3cm apart, perches on a bare "High tension" power line carrying a
current of 720A. If the wire has a resistance of 80μΩ/m, calculate the potential difference between the bird's feet. Do you think the bird will be electrocuted?

r = p * (L/A)
I have the problem set up as (8 * 10^-5Ω/m) * (.03m/A). I don't know what to put for the area since the cross section hasn't been given. I am aware that the bird should not be electrocuted since its potential is the same as the wire, so there should be no current.
Hi Wnt2bsleepin, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Note that the resistivity of the wire is given to you in units of Ohms per-meter. So the cross sectional area is already factored in.

Thanks, then all I have to do is multiply by the distance and I should get what I want.

1. How is potential difference calculated for a bird on a power line?

Potential difference is calculated by using Ohm's Law, which states that V = IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance. In this case, the bird's body acts as the resistor, and the power line provides the voltage and current.

2. What factors affect the potential difference for a bird on a power line?

The potential difference for a bird on a power line is affected by the bird's body composition and the material and thickness of the power line. The distance between the bird and the power line also plays a role.

3. Can the potential difference harm the bird on the power line?

Yes, the potential difference can harm the bird on the power line if it exceeds the bird's threshold for electric shock. The bird may experience muscle spasms, burns, or even death if the voltage is high enough.

4. How can potential difference be measured for a bird on a power line?

Potential difference can be measured by using a voltmeter. The voltmeter should be placed in parallel with the bird on the power line to accurately measure the voltage.

5. Is potential difference the same for all birds on a power line?

No, potential difference can vary for different birds on a power line depending on their size, body composition, and distance from the power line. It is important to consider these factors when calculating potential difference and determining the risk for electric shock.