Potential Difference between two points

In summary, the first conversation involved calculating the potential difference between a bird's feet on a DC electric transmission line carrying 2800A, using the equation V=IR. The second conversation involved finding the change in electric potential energy and the speed of an electron accelerated through a potential difference in a television's picture tube, using the equation W=q(Vb-Va) and the equation v=√(2KE/m). It was noted that it is important to carry units throughout calculations and to use the correct equations for different scenarios, such as the relativistic form for kinetic energy at high speeds.
bishoy

Homework Statement

A bird stands on a DC electric transmission line carrying 2800A. The line has 2.5 x 10^-5 ohms resistance per meter, and the bird's feet are 4.0 cm apart. What is the potential difference between the bird's feet?

Homework Equations

I wish I knew

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright so since the resistance is 2.5 x 10^-5 per meter, I found that the resistance is .000001 ohms between the bird's feet. Since the current is 2800A, I used the equation V=IR and got .0028V. Is this correct or is the problem asking for something else?

Also, there is another problem I have

Homework Statement

Part A:
An electron in the picture tube of a television is accelerated from rest through a potential difference Vb-Va= 3000v. What is the change in electric Potential energy of the electron?

Part B:
What is the speed of the electron as a result of this acceleration?

Homework Equations

W=q(Vb-Va)

I solved part A using the equation stated above and got 4.8 x10^-16
The part that I need help with is Part B. What equation should I use to find the speed?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine to me. Well done.

Thanks Dick :) what about the second problem? any idea how to go about doing that one?

bishoy said:

Homework Statement

A bird stands on a DC electric transmission line carrying 2800A. The line has 2.5 x 10^-5 ohms resistance per meter, and the bird's feet are 4.0 cm apart. What is the potential difference between the bird's feet?

Homework Equations

I wish I knew

Alright so since the resistance is 2.5 x 10^-5 per meter, I found that the resistance is .000001 ohms between the bird's feet. Since the current is 2800A, I used the equation V=IR and got .0028V. Is this correct or is the problem asking for something else?

Also, there is another problem I have

Homework Statement

Part A:
An electron in the picture tube of a television is accelerated from rest through a potential difference Vb-Va= 3000v. What is the change in electric Potential energy of the electron?

Part B:
What is the speed of the electron as a result of this acceleration?

Homework Equations

W=q(Vb-Va)

I solved part A using the equation stated above and got 4.8 x10^-16
The part that I need help with is Part B. What equation should I use to find the speed?

If you put units on 4.8x10^(-16) then you've got the kinetic energy of the electron. It's Joules, right? So what's the relation between speed and kinetic energy?

Dick said:
So what's the relation between speed and kinetic energy?

Well, KE= 1/2mV^2, right? I have the KE, so all I need to do is put in the mass of the electron and solve for velocity? But I thought the mass of an electron is negligible in calculations?

bishoy said:
Well, KE= 1/2mV^2, right? I have the KE, so all I need to do is put in the mass of the electron and solve for velocity? But I thought the mass of an electron is negligible in calculations?

Depends on the calculation. You certainly can't ignore it in this one!

alright so using this equation:
[tex]
v = \sqrt { 2 \frac {\mbox{KE}} m }
[/tex]

and 9.10938188 × 10^(-31) kilograms as the mass of an electron i get
[tex]
v = \sqrt { 2 \frac {\mbox{4.8x10^{-16}J}} {9.10938188 × 10^{-31}Kg }
[/tex]

32463868.12 (assuming my math is correct)

and that would be in m/s?

You should round those numbers off to the precision implied by the problem. But yes, that looks ok. You should be able to figure out the units yourself. J=kg*m^2/s^2. What's sqrt(J/kg)? It's a good habit to get into carrying units around and checking the result has the correct dimension. On a more interesting side note, which you may ignore until you study relativity, that's about 10% of the speed of light. If the answer had been much closer to the speed of light or exceeding it, that would have been a clue that (1/2)*mv^2 is not a good enough approximation and you need to use the relativistic form for kinetic energy.

Well, When I plugged it into my calculator I acually used [tex]

v = \sqrt { 2 \frac {\mbox{4.8x10^{-16}J}} {9.109x10^{-31}Kg }

[/tex]

and as far as the units go, That was a good call... it Should have been m^2/s^2. Thank You for that. I really appreciate your help.

bishoy said:
Well, When I plugged it into my calculator I acually used [tex]

v = \sqrt { 2 \frac {\mbox{4.8x10^{-16}J}} {9.109x10^{-31}Kg }

[/tex]

and as far as the units go, That was a good call... it Should have been m^2/s^2. Thank You for that. I really appreciate your help.

Uh, J/kg is m^2/s^2. Sqrt(J/kg)=m/s. You were right, it's m/s. m^2/s^2 isn't a even a velocity.

my apologies, I misunderstood. I thought you meant that J=kg*m^2/s^2.

Your help is much appreciated :)

1. What is potential difference between two points?

Potential difference is the difference in electrical potential energy between two points in an electrical circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is a measure of the push or force that causes the flow of electricity.

2. How is potential difference calculated?

Potential difference is calculated by dividing the work done in moving a unit of charge from one point to another by the size of the charge. This can be represented by the equation V = W/Q, where V is potential difference, W is work, and Q is charge.

3. What causes potential difference?

Potential difference is caused by the separation of positive and negative charges. When there is a difference in the distribution of these charges, a potential difference is created and an electric field is formed.

4. How does potential difference affect current?

Potential difference is directly related to the flow of current in a circuit. The greater the potential difference, the greater the force pushing the charges and the higher the current. Conversely, a lower potential difference will result in a lower current.

5. What is the unit of measurement for potential difference?

The unit of measurement for potential difference is the volt (V). However, it can also be expressed in joules per coulomb (J/C) since it is a measure of energy per unit of charge.