1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential Difference between two points

1. Jul 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A bird stands on a DC electric transmission line carrying 2800A. The line has 2.5 x 10^-5 ohms resistance per meter, and the bird's feet are 4.0 cm apart. What is the potential difference between the bird's feet?

2. Relevant equations

I wish I knew

3. The attempt at a solution
    Alright so since the resistance is 2.5 x 10^-5 per meter, I found that the resistance is .000001 ohms between the bird's feet. Since the current is 2800A, I used the equation V=IR and got .0028V. Is this correct or is the problem asking for something else?

Also, there is another problem I have

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Part A:
    An electron in the picture tube of a television is accelerated from rest through a potential difference Vb-Va= 3000v. What is the change in electric Potential energy of the electron?

Part B:
    What is the speed of the electron as a result of this acceleration?

2. Relevant equations

W=q(Vb-Va)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved part A using the equation stated above and got 4.8 x10^-16
    The part that I need help with is Part B. What equation should I use to find the speed?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks fine to me. Well done.

4. Jul 18, 2009 #3
    Thanks Dick :) what about the second problem? any idea how to go about doing that one?

5. Jul 18, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you put units on 4.8x10^(-16) then you've got the kinetic energy of the electron. It's Joules, right? So what's the relation between speed and kinetic energy?

6. Jul 18, 2009 #5
    Well, KE= 1/2mV^2, right? I have the KE, so all I need to do is put in the mass of the electron and solve for velocity? But I thought the mass of an electron is negligible in calculations?

7. Jul 18, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Depends on the calculation. You certainly can't ignore it in this one!

8. Jul 18, 2009 #7
    alright so using this equation:
    [tex]
    v = \sqrt { 2 \frac {\mbox{KE}} m }
    [/tex]

and 9.10938188 × 10^(-31) kilograms as the mass of an electron i get
    [tex]
    v = \sqrt { 2 \frac {\mbox{4.8x10^{-16}J}} {9.10938188 × 10^{-31}Kg }
    [/tex]

32463868.12 (assuming my math is correct)

and that would be in m/s?

9. Jul 18, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should round those numbers off to the precision implied by the problem. But yes, that looks ok. You should be able to figure out the units yourself. J=kg*m^2/s^2. What's sqrt(J/kg)? It's a good habit to get into carrying units around and checking the result has the correct dimension. On a more interesting side note, which you may ignore until you study relativity, that's about 10% of the speed of light. If the answer had been much closer to the speed of light or exceeding it, that would have been a clue that (1/2)*mv^2 is not a good enough approximation and you need to use the relativistic form for kinetic energy.

10. Jul 18, 2009 #9
    Well, When I plugged it into my calculator I acually used [tex]

v = \sqrt { 2 \frac {\mbox{4.8x10^{-16}J}} {9.109x10^{-31}Kg }

[/tex]

and as far as the units go, That was a good call.... it Should have been m^2/s^2. Thank You for that. I really appreciate your help.

11. Jul 18, 2009 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Uh, J/kg is m^2/s^2. Sqrt(J/kg)=m/s. You were right, it's m/s. m^2/s^2 isn't a even a velocity.

12. Jul 18, 2009 #11
    my apologies, I misunderstood. I thought you meant that J=kg*m^2/s^2.

Your help is much appreciated :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook