Efficiency and Power Calculation for a Moving Car

In summary, the 1200kg car goes a distance of 12 meters on a road, going from 4m/s to 18 m/s in 6 seconds. The car uses 75,000J of energy as heat energy, which results in a power output of 19600W, and an efficiency of 71%.
mouthwash
A 1200kg car goes a distance of 12 meters on a road, going from 4m/s to 18 m/s in 6 seconds. If 75,000J of energy is used as heat energy, calculate power in/out and efficiency.

I believe I found the correct power output, by doing (.5)(1200)(14^2)/6 = 19600W, but I don't know how to find the power input. Would I just add in the energy lost to friction to the power output? I tried this (19600W /32100W * 100% = 61%) but according to the answer book this is the wrong answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, mouthwash!

(removed boldface because it is annoying :tongue:)

mouthwash said:
A 1200kg car goes a distance of 12 meters on a road, going from 4m/s to 18 m/s in 6 seconds. If 75,000J of energy is used as heat energy, calculate power in/out and efficiency.
I believe I found the correct power output, by doing (.5)(1200)(14^2)/6 = 19600W, but I don't know how to find the power input. Would I just add in the energy lost to friction to the power output? I tried this (19600W /32100W * 100% = 61%) but according to the answer book this is the wrong answer.

I don't think your power output is correct, unfortunately. The power is given by P = ΔE/Δt, the change in energy over the change in time. So you are correct about that. In this case, the energy is kinetic, associated with the car's motion. So ΔE would be ΔKE, which would be:

ΔKE = KEfinal - KEinitial

which would in turn be:

(1/2)m(vfinal)2 - (1/2)m(vinitial)2

Factoring things out, we'd end up with:

ΔKE = (1/2)m[ (vfinal)2 - (vinitial)2 ]

Look at the quantity in square brackets. It's not the same thing as what you wrote. You wrote (vfinal - vinitial)2, which is different, and wrong. You have to square the speeds first, and then subtract them. Instead, you subtracted the speeds, and then squared the result.

okay if I do it like that, I get answer for power output of 12800, but i still receive the wrong answer when i do 12800/(12800*6 + 75000) * 100% = 51%. The answer should be 71% for efficiency.

Also, the problem tells you that 75,000 J of energy from the engine ends up in the form of heat. So, a certain amount of energy is provided by the engine (over six seconds) but only some of that goes into useful work (which is the change in kinetic energy that you computed). The rest is wasted as heat. So the energy input would just be (useful work + waste heat). You can figure out the efficiency just from (energy out)/(energy in).

mouthwash said:
okay if I do it like that, I get answer for power output of 12800, but i still receive the wrong answer when i do 12800/(12800*6 + 75000) * 100% = 51%. The answer should be 71% for efficiency.

There are a couple of problems.

1. 12,800 W is the wrong answer for the power output. Try again.

2. You're mixing power and energy in your efficiency calculation (which is why you should ALWAYS include units in your computations, to avoid mistakes like this). :wink: EITHER use

efficiency = (power out)/(power in)

OR use

efficiency = (energy out)/(energy in)

It doesn't matter, because the second equation is just the first equation multiplied by (6 seconds)/(6 seconds) = 1.

I see, thanks a lot. I got the right answer finally.

1. How do you calculate power input?

To calculate power input, you need to multiply the voltage by the current. This equation is represented as P = VI, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amps.

2. What is the unit of measurement for power input?

The unit of measurement for power input is watts (W). However, in some cases, it can also be measured in kilowatts (kW) or megawatts (MW) for larger power systems.

3. Can power input be negative?

Yes, power input can be negative. This occurs when the power is being consumed or used by a device or system, rather than being supplied or generated. In this case, the power input is represented as a negative value.

4. How does power input affect energy efficiency?

Power input is directly related to energy efficiency. The higher the power input, the more energy is being used by a device or system. To improve energy efficiency, it is important to reduce power input by using more efficient components or reducing usage.

5. What are some common sources of power input?

Some common sources of power input include electrical outlets, batteries, generators, solar panels, and wind turbines. These sources provide the necessary electrical energy to power devices and systems.