Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 17,871
- 1,653
Well it is neat.
If I changed some parameters in the problem it's because I try to find the best problem (easier to resolve), it's not easy.Asked to be clearer, OP just changed to a different setup.
Ok, in this case it's possible to show me another forces which compensate red forces. Not compute just drawing it.No - because the sum of all the forces are exactly zero.
It could be any number of intriguing puzzles
I would like to simulate forces with only gravity attraction law (1/d²). If the system is small it's possible to compute with a program, a 2d problem with only one layer of molecule for the thickness, N-body simulation can do that, but for take all parameters like density it's difficult to do for me, not for you I think. Someone to start the problem ?You have to sum all the forces.
Am I the only one who thinks that picture in the first post presents a very cool problem?
Simon will say I changed the problem again but it's possible to put it in a disk. No infinite water.Because the air-field sphere placed in an infinite pool of water
I hope nobody will burn me but I'm not agree with you. If I consider only pressure force from external gravity pressure, ok, I'm right with you. But if I consider attraction from others particles through the object to study, for me I don't see that like perpendicular, if object is asymetrical how pressure force can be perpendicular ? An example (not another case), Fp is perpendicular but attraction from another particles through object give Fr, the sum of forces are not perpendicular. Sure, the difference is very small, but physics must take it in account. So, another force ?while pressure forces should act perpendicular to the surfaces
Doesn't matter. So long as the air-field sphere is at the center of relevant symmetries. In other words, if air-filled sphere is at the center of the cylindrical pool of water, all of the logic I stated applies. The pressure gradient still establishes as stated, and the gravitational force on the water-filled sphere will be balanced by said pressure gradients.Gh778 said:Simon will say I changed the problem again but it's possible to put it in a disk. No infinite water.
I said that ? For me water is compressible. You can change water by liquid helium at low temperature. Compressibility of liquid helium is bigger (100 times more than water I think).The assumption is that water is incompressible.
You said it when you specified "water" i your setup - and you seemed to want the simplest model.Gh778 said:I said that ? For me water is compressible.
Very low temp.You can change water by liquid helium at low temperature.
Compressibility of liquid helium is bigger (100 times more than water I think).
yes, it's very important when the study is in a disk.you intended a compressible liquid?
sure, but it's not a problem. I saw in particular liquid helium has no viscosity.Very low temp.
I don't understand (english)You understand that things float in air right?
I prefer compute with forces that I know.But K^2 is correct - you need to work the energy description - what will reduce the energy.
That the heart of the problem, I study attraction forces from liquid particles to liquid particles itself through an object. If the study is on Earth, this don't change the problem if study is perpendicular to Earth's gravity. I prefer to study on Earth because in space I need to study with big dimensions and need a long time to compute.you want the classical infinite volume of fluid all at a constant temperature? In that case the density is initially equal everywhere since there is no center
Liquid helium introduces all sort of odd effects.Gh778 said:sure, but [super-cold] not a problem. I saw in particular liquid helium has no viscosity.
"fluid" does not have to mean "liquid" - gasses are fluids too. Buoyancy rules work for gasses as well.I don't understand (english)
Which just makes it harder for yourself.I prefer compute with forces that I know.
Earth's gravity will still affect everything - for instance, the gravity will create a vertical pressure gradient in a fluid. If the fluid is compressible, then there will be a density gradient as well.That the heart of the problem, I study attraction forces from liquid particles to liquid particles itself through an object. If the study is on Earth, this don't change the problem if study is perpendicular to Earth's gravity. I prefer to study on Earth because in space I need to study with big dimensions and need a long time to compute.
The ball pushes on the walls, and the walls push on the ball.Gh778 said:but sum of force for each ball is 0, and the wall apply counter force to the ball not on itself, I don't understand
#include <stdio.h>
#include <math.h>
#define L 0.000000001 //Width of column
#define H 0.000001 //Height of column
#define r 0.5e-10 //radius of a molecule m
#define h 0.0000001 //height of solid
#define w 3e-26 //mass of a molecule kg
int main()
{
long int i,j,k,l; //counter for loop
double nbL, nbH, nbh, sumB, forceB, sumG, forceG, angle, length, o, c, force, d, rw;
double w2 = pow((double)w,2.0); //mass*mass
d = 2.0*r; //diameter of a molecule
nbL = L/d; //number of molecules in width of column
nbH = H/d; //number of molecules in height of column
nbh = h/d; //number of molecules in height of solid
sumB = 0.0; //sum of buoyancy forces
sumG = 0.0; //sum of weight forces
rw = (nbL-2)*nbh*w; //total mass kg
printf("nbL=%lf\nnbH=%lf\nnbh=%lf\nd=%lf\nsumB=%lf\nw2=%e\nsumG=%lf\ntotal mass=%e", nbL, nbH, nbh, d, sumB, w2, sumG, rw);
printf("-----------------------------------------------");
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
/////////// Loops for buoyancy
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
for(i=0;i<(int)nbL;i++)
{
for(j=0;j<(int)nbH;j++)
{
for(k=0;k<(int)nbh;k++)
{
o = (double)i*d; // length of opposite of triangle
c = H - (double)j*d - (double)k*d -d; // length of side or triangle
length = sqrt( pow(c,2.0) + pow(o,2.0) );
angle = atan(o/c);
force = w2 / pow(length,2.0) * cos(angle);
sumB += fabs(force);
//printf("o=%e\nc=%e\nlength=%e\nangle=%e\nforce=%e\nsumB=%e\n", o, c, length, angle, force, sumB);
//getchar();
}
}printf("i=%i / %i ******** sum = %e\n",i, (int)nbL, sumB);
}
forceB = 6.674e-11 * sumB*(L-2*d)/(d);
printf("buoyancy force = %e\n", forceB);
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
/////////// Loops for weight
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
for(i=0;i<(int)nbL;i++)
{
for(j=0;j<(int)nbH;j++)
{
for(k=0;k<(int)nbh;k++)
{
for(l=1;l<(int)nbL-1;l++)
{
o = fabs( (double)i*d+r - (double)l*d+r -d);
c = H - fabs ((double)j*d + (double)k*d ) + d;
//if(c==0.0) printf("pb 0");
length = sqrt( pow(c,2.0) + pow(o,2.0) );
angle = atan(o/c);
force = w2 / pow(length,2.0) * cos(angle);
sumG += fabs(force);
//printf("o=%lf\nc=%lf\nlength=%lf\nangle=%e\nforce=%e\nsumG=%e\n", o, c, length, angle, force, sumG);
//getchar();
}
}
}
printf("i=%i / %i\n",i, (int)nbL);
}
sumG=6.674e-11 * sumG;
printf("buoyancy force = %e\nattraction force = %e\n", forceB, sumG);
return 0;
}
Gh778 said:Ok, like that I understand, you're a very good teacher Simon ! The best here !
I come back of my first message, with gravitational force. An object composed of half part of water and half part of gas under low pressure. I don't compute gas, I consider like vacuum, it's possible to say the pressure is very low. I consider density the same everywhere. I don't compute temperature. Even there is friction the sum of force on object must be to 0. I computed a very small object in other case, I must wait a long time ! I compute only one layer of atoms between walls and object.
I compute force that attact water due to the lack of water in gas-container and I compute force of pressure due to water inside object on gas-container. Maybe it's not good to thinking like that. For me, I imagine an external fluid which don't attract (weight) and don't give pressure. I put an object in it (half water, half gas). Water-container will change the pressure around the air-container, but gas can't do the same. The net force in this case is the force of buoyancy I compute in program.
I'm not sure my program is good enough:
Code:#include <stdio.h> #include <math.h> #define L 0.000000001 //Width of column #define H 0.000001 //Height of column #define r 0.5e-10 //radius of a molecule m #define h 0.0000001 //height of solid #define w 3e-26 //mass of a molecule kg int main() { long int i,j,k,l; //counter for loop double nbL, nbH, nbh, sumB, forceB, sumG, forceG, angle, length, o, c, force, d, rw; double w2 = pow((double)w,2.0); //mass*mass d = 2.0*r; //diameter of a molecule nbL = L/d; //number of molecules in width of column nbH = H/d; //number of molecules in height of column nbh = h/d; //number of molecules in height of solid sumB = 0.0; //sum of buoyancy forces sumG = 0.0; //sum of weight forces rw = (nbL-2)*nbh*w; //total mass kg printf("nbL=%lf\nnbH=%lf\nnbh=%lf\nd=%lf\nsumB=%lf\nw2=%e\nsumG=%lf\ntotal mass=%e", nbL, nbH, nbh, d, sumB, w2, sumG, rw); printf("-----------------------------------------------"); ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// /////////// Loops for buoyancy ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// for(i=0;i<(int)nbL;i++) { for(j=0;j<(int)nbH;j++) { for(k=0;k<(int)nbh;k++) { o = (double)i*d; // length of opposite of triangle c = H - (double)j*d - (double)k*d -d; // length of side or triangle length = sqrt( pow(c,2.0) + pow(o,2.0) ); angle = atan(o/c); force = w2 / pow(length,2.0) * cos(angle); sumB += fabs(force); //printf("o=%e\nc=%e\nlength=%e\nangle=%e\nforce=%e\nsumB=%e\n", o, c, length, angle, force, sumB); //getchar(); } }printf("i=%i / %i ******** sum = %e\n",i, (int)nbL, sumB); } forceB = 6.674e-11 * sumB*(L-2*d)/(d); printf("buoyancy force = %e\n", forceB); ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// /////////// Loops for weight ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// for(i=0;i<(int)nbL;i++) { for(j=0;j<(int)nbH;j++) { for(k=0;k<(int)nbh;k++) { for(l=1;l<(int)nbL-1;l++) { o = fabs( (double)i*d+r - (double)l*d+r -d); c = H - fabs ((double)j*d + (double)k*d ) + d; //if(c==0.0) printf("pb 0"); length = sqrt( pow(c,2.0) + pow(o,2.0) ); angle = atan(o/c); force = w2 / pow(length,2.0) * cos(angle); sumG += fabs(force); //printf("o=%lf\nc=%lf\nlength=%lf\nangle=%e\nforce=%e\nsumG=%e\n", o, c, length, angle, force, sumG); //getchar(); } } } printf("i=%i / %i\n",i, (int)nbL); } sumG=6.674e-11 * sumG; printf("buoyancy force = %e\nattraction force = %e\n", forceB, sumG); return 0; }
The net force on object is not 0. For me, it's possible to put it in a torus but I don't know how to compute torque.
http://imageshack.us/a/img46/5976/o13h.jpg
Wrong - it would add an extra pressure gradient to the fluid.Gh778 said:When the torus turn, with good rotational speed (good size, small height for object, etc) it can cancel pressure in the fluid, right ?
There is always pressure from the fluid - that is because the fluid has a temperature above absolute zero.If necessary it's possible to have 2 object diametrycally opposed, like that no specific pressure from liquid.
There is pressure everywhere in the fluid.The only pressure around object in it:
No - the pressure around the gas container is the pressure of the surrounding fluid.- pressure around gas-container = 0 because all is symmetric around it
The water container has the same density as the water - so it has neutral buoyancy.- pressure around water-container different of 0: force of buoyancy I compute
What object?The object is not attract by gas-container:
In what way?force of weight I compute, why I find this force bigger ?
Remember - the buoyant force comes from a pressure gradient ... in the spinning torus, the pressure is greater along the outside than it is along the inside, so the net force on anything floating in it will point inwards. This is an unbalanced force - which is expected because the system is accelerating.because it's matrix of particles that attract a matrix of particles. In the buoyancy force it's a matrix that attract only a line of particles. For me, when particles attract particles all forces are canceled by themselves like spring can do. But what's cancel the buoyant force ?
Why do you keep doing that? It does nothing. Do you think that the filled box will be repelled by the voided one (being attracted to the center of mass) - moving away, pulling the gas-container with it?