Calculating Pressure at the Center of the Earth

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
derravaragh
Messages
24
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Assume that the interior of the Earth is an incompressible fluid. The density is constant: ρ = M/V. The pressure p(r) depends on the distance r from the center of the earth. The equation for static equilibrium of a self-gravitating fluid sphere is
p(r)δA − p(r+dr)δA − ρdrδAg(r) = 0,
where g(r) = G (ρ4πr3/3) /r2.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I need to solve this for p(r), so first I divided out the δA. From here I added terms to obtain:
p(r) = p(r+dr) + ρdrg(r)
Now I am stuck. I am unsure of how to deal with p(r+dr) and dr. My gut tells me to integrate with respect to r, but I don't feel like I should be integrating p(r). Other than that, when I look at p(r+dr) I see it as the pressure of the current r + the change in r, but that still doesn't help me proceed. Any help would be appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org