Calculating Pressure at the Center of the Earth

The dr in the bottom should be in the limit too.In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for static equilibrium of a self-gravitating fluid sphere, where the pressure depends on the distance from the center of the Earth. The conversation also mentions solving for p(r) and integrating with respect to r, but the speaker is unsure of how to proceed.
derravaragh

Homework Statement

Assume that the interior of the Earth is an incompressible fluid. The density is constant: ρ = M/V. The pressure p(r) depends on the distance r from the center of the earth. The equation for static equilibrium of a self-gravitating fluid sphere is
p(r)δA − p(r+dr)δA − ρdrδAg(r) = 0,
where g(r) = G (ρ4πr3/3) /r2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to solve this for p(r), so first I divided out the δA. From here I added terms to obtain:
p(r) = p(r+dr) + ρdrg(r)
Now I am stuck. I am unsure of how to deal with p(r+dr) and dr. My gut tells me to integrate with respect to r, but I don't feel like I should be integrating p(r). Other than that, when I look at p(r+dr) I see it as the pressure of the current r + the change in r, but that still doesn't help me proceed. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
$$\lim_{dr \to 0}\frac{p(r+dr)-p(r)}{dr} = p'(r)$$
Just the regular definition of the derivative.

FAQ: Calculating Pressure at the Center of the Earth

1. What is the formula for calculating pressure at the center of the Earth?

The formula for calculating pressure at the center of the Earth is P = (2 x G x M) / (4 x π x r^3), where P is pressure, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, and r is the radius of the Earth.

2. How do scientists know the pressure at the center of the Earth?

Scientists use mathematical models and data collected from seismology and geology to estimate the pressure at the center of the Earth. They also use information about the Earth's density and composition to make these calculations.

3. What is the pressure at the center of the Earth?

The pressure at the center of the Earth is estimated to be around 360 GPa (gigapascals), which is over 3 million times the average surface pressure on Earth.

4. Does the pressure at the center of the Earth change over time?

The pressure at the center of the Earth is relatively constant as the Earth's core is made up of solid iron and nickel. However, small changes in temperature and density can cause slight variations in pressure.

5. What would happen if a human were to travel to the center of the Earth?

If a human were to travel to the center of the Earth, they would experience immense pressure and extreme temperatures. The pressure would be too great for a human to survive, and the temperatures could reach over 5000 degrees Celsius, which is hotter than the surface of the sun.