Calculating Pressure on a Roof Due to a Sudden Change in Atmospheric Pressure

• Thread starter vaxop
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the conversation is discussing the determination of the net force applied by the atmosphere on a roof when the outside pressure suddenly rises. The surface area and change in pressure are calculated, and the direction and magnitude of the force are found using vector addition. The conversation also discusses the use of LaTeX for proper online equation formatting and the importance of showing effort and reasoning in problem-solving.
vaxop
Pressure on a roof (help!)

A house has a roof (colored gray) with the dimensions shown in the drawing. Determine the magnitude and direction of the net force that the atmosphere applies to the roof when the outside pressure rises suddenly by 10.0 mm of mercury, before the pressure in the attic can adjust.

ive been on this for hours and i can't figure it out :cry:

Attachments

• nw0481-n.gif
    nw0481-n.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 779
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please show us the work that you have done for these hours.

its on paper lol (and a mess :P)

what program do u use to make equations look properly online?

It's a typesetting language supported by the forums called Latex. See here for an introduction.

darn anyone have any ideas?

Begin by converting the mercury reading to a more convenient unit of pressure. Think about pressure, surface area, and force; don't forget about direction...

You need to show us an effort at doing the problem...at least your reasoning or something.

I got the basics figured out..
its the angle that's bothersome :/

P = (13600kg/m^3 * 10mm * 9.81m/s^2) / 10^4 = 133.416N/m^2 (change in pressure)

The surface area is 14.5m * 4.21m = 61.045m, or 122.09m for the whole roof.

Id think that the pressure would just be directed straight down, and its magnitude would be cos30 * 133.416 = 115.5N/m^2

I know that the pressure will be directed (somewhat) down, because a change in pressure outside would be similar to going further down in water

but this seems waaaaay too easy.. the question is supposed to be very difficult :/

Last edited:
I don't think that the two magnitudes would cross each other out..

But i don't know ><

am i on the right track?

I think the pressure is the same regardless of the inclination of the surface. To find the magnitude of the net force on the roof, find the force vector for each of the two parts of the roof, then add vectorally.

vaxopy said:
I got the basics figured out..
its the angle that's bothersome :/

P = (13600kg/m^3 * 10mm * 9.81m/s^2) / 10^4 = 133.416N/m^2 (change in pressure)

The surface area is 14.5m * 4.21m = 61.045m, or 122.09m for the whole roof.

Id think that the pressure would just be directed straight down, and its magnitude would be cos30 * 133.416 = 115.5N/m^2

I know that the pressure will be directed (somewhat) down, because a change in pressure outside would be similar to going further down in water

but this seems waaaaay too easy.. the question is supposed to be very difficult :/

Double check your units conversion to N/m^2... I get 1333N/m^2. I believe your 10^4 in the denominator should be 10^3.

The way you've worked the problem is fine so far (except the conversion I believe). Just find the two forces on the two parts of the roof and add vectorially as Sirius said.

1. What is the definition of pressure on a roof?

The pressure on a roof is the force exerted by the weight of the roof and any additional objects or elements on top of it. This pressure is distributed evenly over the surface of the roof.

2. How is the pressure on a roof calculated?

The pressure on a roof is calculated by multiplying the weight of the roof by the acceleration due to gravity and dividing by the surface area of the roof. This is known as the formula for pressure: P = F/A.

3. What factors affect the pressure on a roof?

The pressure on a roof can be affected by several factors, including the weight and shape of the roof, the materials used, the angle of the roof, and the wind and snow loads. These factors can increase or decrease the overall pressure on the roof.

4. Can pressure on a roof cause damage?

Yes, excessive pressure on a roof can cause damage, especially if the roof is not designed to withstand the amount of pressure it is experiencing. This can lead to structural issues, leaks, and other problems.

5. How can pressure on a roof be reduced?

Pressure on a roof can be reduced by using lightweight materials, incorporating proper drainage systems, and ensuring that the roof is properly designed and installed based on the expected loads. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help identify and address any potential pressure issues.