Calculating Rate of Heat Loss for Metal at 800K

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of heat loss rate for a metal ball inside a heater. The given information includes the temperature of the heater and the rate of heat loss at a certain temperature. The calculation involves converting units to SI and using the equation Q/t = emissivity * Boltzman Law * Temperature (to the 4th power in K) * Area * time. However, the equation provided is slightly incorrect and should instead use the difference between the ball's temperature and the environment's temperature to the 4th power. After making this correction, the calculated heat loss rate is 0.40 J/min.
Cheddar

Homework Statement

A metal (doesn't say what metal) is in a heater that is set to 700 K.
If the temperature of the ball is 900 K then the rate of heat loss = 0.10 J/min.
What is the rate of heat loss when the ball's temperature = 800 K.
The ball's emissivity doesn't change appreciably with temperature.

Homework Equations

Q = emissivity * Boltzman Law * Temperature (to the 4th power in K) * Area * time

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for A using the given information then plugged it into the equation above to solve for Q/t using 800 K instead of the 900 K. My answer doesn't check out. Am I suppose to convert 0.10 J/min into J/seconds? If so, how?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Cheddar! :smile:
Cheddar said:
… If the temperature of the ball is 900 K then the rate of heat loss = 0.10 J/min.

My answer doesn't check out. Am I suppose to convert 0.10 J/min into J/seconds? If so, how?

Yes, all your measurements must be in SI units (kg, second, joule, etc).

Calculations can go horribly wrong if you don't do that!

To convert J/min into J/second, just do it the same way you'd convert feet/min into feet/second. :wink:

Thank you. I did that and the answer still doesn't match up though.
I get an area of 4.48018196 * 10(-8 power). Plugging this into:
Q/t = emissivity * Boltzman's * Temperature(4th power) * Area
leaves me with 0.0010404918, which doesn't check out.

Cheddar said:

Homework Equations

Q = emissivity * Boltzman Law * Temperature (to the 4th power in K) * Area * time

This equation isn't quite right. Question: what would the rate of heat loss be if the ball were at the same temperature as the heater in which it is located?

So, instead of T(4th power) it should maybe be the difference between the ball's temp and the environments temp(to the 4th power)??

Close. It would be (Tball4 - Tenvir4)

I think I have it.
0.40 J/min

The heat loss rate should be less at a lower temperature.

Related to Calculating Rate of Heat Loss for Metal at 800K

1. How is the rate of heat loss calculated for metal at 800K?

The rate of heat loss for metal at 800K can be calculated using the formula Q = hA(Ts-Tenv), where Q is the rate of heat loss, h is the heat transfer coefficient, A is the surface area of the metal, Ts is the temperature of the metal, and Tenv is the temperature of the surroundings.

2. What is the heat transfer coefficient and how is it determined?

The heat transfer coefficient is a measure of the rate at which heat is transferred between a material and its surroundings. It is determined experimentally by measuring the temperature difference between the material and its surroundings, and the resulting heat flow rate.

3. How does the surface area of the metal affect the rate of heat loss?

The surface area of the metal directly affects the rate of heat loss, as it is a factor in the heat loss formula. A larger surface area means there is more area for heat to transfer from the metal to its surroundings, resulting in a higher rate of heat loss.

4. What is the significance of the temperature difference in calculating rate of heat loss?

The temperature difference between the metal and its surroundings is a crucial factor in calculating the rate of heat loss. The greater the temperature difference, the higher the rate of heat loss will be. This is because heat naturally flows from areas of higher temperature to areas of lower temperature.

5. How does the rate of heat loss for metal at 800K impact its overall thermal conductivity?

The rate of heat loss for metal at 800K is directly related to its thermal conductivity. A material with a higher thermal conductivity will have a lower rate of heat loss, as it is able to conduct and retain heat more effectively. Conversely, a material with a lower thermal conductivity will have a higher rate of heat loss.