Calculating Series Resonance at 50Hz: Inductance Question

• Thread starter ForgottenMemo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inductance
In summary, using the equation for inductance: C=\frac{1}{2\pi f I}, at 50Hz, the circuit will become series resonant.
ForgottenMemo

Homework Statement

An AC generator produces a voltage of 230<45º volts. It is connected across an impedance of 17.4<-33º ohms.

The supply frequency = 50Hz

I got my assignment back and this question wrong, maybe you can guide me, please because I’m not sure entirety. Help is appreciated.

Question: Calculate the value of inductance that will make the circuit become series resonant at 50Hz?

Homework Equations

1/2π fc = 2 π fl

The Attempt at a Solution

I= 17.4 sin33 = 9.47
C= 1/2 π (50x9.47) = 3.36x10^-6
Would it be: 2 π fl > 2 π(50) = 314 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, check your math. If

[tex]X_c=\frac{1}{j\omega C}[/tex]

then C = 3.36e-4. When I plug C into

[tex]L=\frac{1}{\omega^2 C}[/tex]

I get L=0.030.

Thanks for the responce, but I don't undestand why you say check my math, what wrong with it. You've confused me now.

--

Also where did those two other equations come from cause my lecturer has not used them, there not the ones i was using?

1/2π fc = 2 π fl

--

ForgottenMemo said:
C= 1/2 π (50x9.47) = 3.36x10^-6
The values are correct but the answer is wrong. Try it again.

ForgottenMemo said:
1/2π fc = 2 π fl
so in your notation,

[tex]l=\frac{1}{(2\pi f)^2 c}[/tex]

I get l=0.030.

Hello,

I re-calculated it and got this for C:

C= 1/2 π (50x9.47) = 743.7

--

Using : [tex]l=\frac{1}{(2\pi f)^2 c}[/tex]

1/(2πx50)^2 = 1.013x10^-5

(1.013x10^-5) x C (743.7) = 7.5x10^-3

Which is utterly wrong.

I broke it down into chucks thinking tit would help, either way i get the same answer above.

ForgottenMemo said:
Hello,

I re-calculated it and got this for C:

C= 1/2 π (50x9.47) = 743.7
No, that's why I wrote down the equations before. The correct equation in your notation is
[tex]C=\frac{1}{2\pi f I}.[/tex]

Take a look in your book! Physics Forums is not a replacement for studying.

Last edited:
Im sorry my limited amount of knowleadge, i find it hard to understand even on a good day (It takes me a couple of times, before it all sinks in, esp, when the lecturer is not even good, nor textbooks or websites make it clear).

[tex]C=\frac{1}{2\pi f I}.[/tex] => [tex]C=\frac{1}{2\pi 50 9.47}.[/tex] = 3.361*10^-4

-

[tex]l=\frac{1}{(2\pi f)^2 c}[/tex] => 1 / (2pi x 50)^2 x 3.361x10^-4) = 0.030155 = 30155uH

So basically,that will make the circuit become series resonant at 50Hz, is that it marcus.

Last edited:
Yes, that's it!
Watch out for the number of digits in your answer, though. Since the problem specified three significant digits (17.4 ohms), your answers should also have 3 significant digits: 0.030 H and 3.36e-4 F.

Thanks for the help Marcus, it was most kind.

What is inductance?

Inductance is the property of a circuit or element that causes it to resist changes in current flow. It is measured in units called henries (H).

How is inductance measured?

Inductance is measured using a device called an inductance meter or an LCR meter. It works by passing a known current through the circuit and measuring the resulting magnetic field.

What factors affect inductance?

Inductance is affected by the number of turns in a coil, the size and shape of the coil, the material the coil is made of, and the presence of any nearby magnetic materials.

What are some applications of inductance?

Inductance is used in electronic devices such as transformers, motors, and generators. It is also used in wireless charging, electromagnetic sensors, and filters for electronic signals.

How does inductance differ from resistance?

Inductance and resistance are both properties that affect the flow of current in a circuit, but they are caused by different factors. Resistance is caused by the physical properties of a material, while inductance is caused by the presence of a magnetic field.