Solving for Series Resonance at 50Hz with Impedance and Inductance Calculations

• Thread starter ForgottenMemo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inductance
In summary, the conversation discussed a question about calculating the value of inductance for a circuit to become series resonant at a frequency of 50Hz. The student attempted to solve the problem using equations and values given in the homework, but was unsure of their answer.
ForgottenMemo

Homework Statement

An AC generator produces a voltage of 230<45º volts. It is connected across an impedance of 17.4<-33º ohms.

The supply frequency = 50Hz

I got my assignment back and this question wrong, maybe you can guide me, please because I’m not sure entirety. Help is appreciated.

Question: Calculate the value of inductance that will make the circuit become series resonant at 50Hz?

Homework Equations

1/2π fc = 2 π fl

The Attempt at a Solution

I= 17.4 sin33 = 9.47
C= 1/2 π (50x9.47) = 3.36x10^-6
Would it be: 2 π fl > 2 π(50) = 314 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please don't double post. Also, this is not an Advanced physics problem. See solution under your EE post.

1. What is inductance?

Inductance is a property of an electrical circuit that describes the ability of the circuit to store energy in the form of a magnetic field.

2. What units is inductance measured in?

Inductance is measured in units called henries (H), named after the scientist Joseph Henry.

3. How is inductance different from resistance?

Inductance and resistance are both properties of an electrical circuit, but they have different effects. Resistance restricts the flow of current, while inductance stores energy in the form of a magnetic field.

4. What factors affect the inductance of a circuit?

The inductance of a circuit depends on the number of turns in the coil, the material of the core, and the physical dimensions of the coil.

5. How is inductance used in real-world applications?

Inductance is used in many different applications, such as in transformers, motors, and generators. It is also used in electronic circuits to control the flow of current and filter out unwanted signals.