Calculating Spring Constant: Finding k Without Force Information

In summary, the spring constant is the amount of force needed to keep the spring compressed at its equilibrium position.
Flinthill84
I need a little help on this one:

One end of a massless spring is welded to a flat surface, the other points upward. A mass of 1.0kg is gently set down on top of the spring until the spring is compressed by 17cm to a new equilibrium position. What is the spring constant?

I know that you can find the spring constant by using F=-kx but I don't know how to find it without knowing the force. If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it. Thankyou!

Physics news on Phys.org
Erm...you do know the force. The spring is compressed 17cm when a 1.0kg mass is placed on it. How much does 1.0kg weigh?

I thought that force was mass times acceleration though?

Yes, and if you multiply the given mass by the acceleration of gravity, then what physical quantity does that represent?

Force...so if I multiply the 1.0kg times 9.8m/s^2 I will get the force and therefore be able to calculate the spring constant

Flinthill84 said:
I thought that force was mass times acceleration though?
Newton's 2nd law says that the net force on an object equals mass times acceleration. The acceleration of the mass is zero, of course, so the net force on it is zero. The two forces acting on the mass--its weigh (pulling down) and the spring force (pushing up)--must exactly balance. So the spring force must equal the weight of that 1.0kg mass.

alright I hope I am understanding this correctly...from what I understand that your telling me the force is just the 1.0kg? if that is correct I though force had to be in Newtons?

The force is the weight of the 1.0kg mass. You can calculate the weight as Tom explained, by multiplying the mass by the acceleration of gravity. And it will be in Newtons.

ok I understand now...thankyou very much!

Related to Calculating Spring Constant: Finding k Without Force Information

1. What is energy and how does it relate to spring constant?

Energy can be defined as the ability to do work. In the context of spring constant, it refers to the potential energy stored in a spring when it is compressed or stretched. The amount of energy stored in a spring depends on its spring constant, which is a measure of how stiff the spring is.

2. How is spring constant calculated?

Spring constant is calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by the displacement of the spring from its original position. This can be represented by the equation F = kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

3. Can the spring constant of a spring change?

Yes, the spring constant of a spring can change depending on various factors such as the material of the spring, its length, and how it is manipulated. For example, stretching or compressing a spring can change its spring constant.

4. What is the unit of measurement for spring constant?

The unit of measurement for spring constant is Newtons per meter (N/m) in the SI system. In the English system, it is measured in pounds per inch (lb/in).

5. How does the spring constant affect the behavior of a spring?

The spring constant determines how much force is needed to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance. A higher spring constant means the spring is stiffer and requires more force to stretch or compress, while a lower spring constant means the spring is more flexible and requires less force. The spring constant also affects the frequency of oscillation of a spring when it is set in motion.