Calculating Taylor Series Expansion for ##f(x)##

In summary: I don't quite have ##\frac{1}{1-z}## going on? Not quite seeing what you're saying to do here.You'll end up with $$\left(1 - \frac{x^2}{20}\right)(1+\text{a few terms up to order }x^2).$$ Then you just multiply it out.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Calculate the Taylor series expansion about x=0 as far as the term in ##x^2## for the function :

##f(x) = \frac{x-sinx}{e^{-x} - 1 + ln(x+1)}## when ##x≠0##
##f(x) = 1## when ##x=0##

Homework Equations

Some common Taylor expansions.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm getting a bit confused with this one, things don't seem to be happening like they usually do.

First off ill note that :

##x - sinx = \frac{x^3}{3!} - \frac{x^5}{5!} + \frac{x^7}{7!} - ...##

Also :

##e^{-x} - 1 + ln(x+1) = \frac{x^3}{3!} - \frac{5x^4}{4!} + \frac{23x^5}{5!} - ...##

So I after factoring ##\frac{x^3}{3!}## out of the numerator and denominator of f(x), I get :

##\frac{1 - \frac{x^2}{20} + \frac{x^4}{840} - ...}{1 - \frac{5x}{4} + \frac{23x^2}{20} - ...}##

Now here's my problem. When I start doing the long division needed to find the Taylor series up to ##x^2##, the long division doesn't work like it should. Perhaps I made a small mistake somewhere, but I can't seem to see it.

If anyone has some insight it would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Zondrina said:
When I start doing the long division needed to find the Taylor series up to ##x^2##, the long division doesn't work like it should. Perhaps I made a small mistake somewhere, but I can't seem to see it.

It's not clear why you should have trouble doing that. Perhaps if you post your work, we can see your error?

EDIT: aside from that difficulty, I don't think the expansion of the denominator is correct.
EDIT AGAIN: it checks out now, sorry.

Last edited:
stevenb said:
It's not clear why you should have trouble doing that. Perhaps if you post your work, we can see your error?

Well, 1 goes into 1 one time. So i multiply each member of my divisor by one and subtract it from my numerator.

1 - 1 = 0 This works out like it should.

##- \frac{x^2}{20} + \frac{5x}{4} =## something that doesn't comply

##\frac{x^4}{840} - \frac{23x^2}{20} =## once again no dice.

So I can't continue the division.

Zondrina said:
Well, 1 goes into 1 one time. So i multiply each member of my divisor by one and subtract it from my numerator.

1 - 1 = 0 This works out like it should.

##- \frac{x^2}{20} + \frac{5x}{4} =## something that doesn't comply

##\frac{x^4}{840} - \frac{23x^2}{20} =## once again no dice.

So I can't continue the division.

You can continue. The remainder is terms of different powers, so just write them out and continue dividing to get the series expansion.

Correction, to my edit above. It should work out, now that I've checked it.

Zondrina said:
So I after factoring ##\frac{x^3}{3!}## out of the numerator and denominator of f(x), I get :

##\frac{1 - \frac{x^2}{20} + \frac{x^4}{840} - ...}{1 - \frac{5x}{4} + \frac{23x^2}{20} - ...}##

Now here's my problem. When I start doing the long division needed to find the Taylor series up to ##x^2##, the long division doesn't work like it should. Perhaps I made a small mistake somewhere, but I can't seem to see it.

I'd avoid doing long division. You have
$$\frac{1 - \frac{x^2}{20} + \frac{x^4}{840} - ...}{1 - \left(\frac{5x}{4} - \frac{23x^2}{20} + \cdots\right)}.$$ Now use the expansion ##\frac{1}{1-z} = 1+z+z^2+z^3+\cdots## to convert the fraction into a product of two series. You only have to keep track of a few terms. The rest you can ignore because they will only contribute to higher orders.

Vela,

Is that really easier? I haven't tried it, but it looks at least a little more time consuming than direct division. It seems you need the first two terms from the numerator, so you'll need to apply that expansion twice (once for each term), and then after working each term (which includes multiplications), you'll have to add the terms.

Or, maybe I'm missing a shortcut you have in mind?

Division is completed in about 30 seconds directly, since we're only going up to second order terms. I think the issue here is that the OP is not confident about the rules for division of power series, which should be learned.

vela said:
I'd avoid doing long division. You have
$$\frac{1 - \frac{x^2}{20} + \frac{x^4}{840} - ...}{1 - \left(\frac{5x}{4} - \frac{23x^2}{20} + \cdots\right)}.$$ Now use the expansion ##\frac{1}{1-z} = 1+z+z^2+z^3+\cdots## to convert the fraction into a product of two series. You only have to keep track of a few terms. The rest you can ignore because they will only contribute to higher orders.

I don't quite have ##\frac{1}{1-z}## going on? Not quite seeing what you're saying to do here.

You'll end up with
$$\left(1 - \frac{x^2}{20}\right)(1+\text{a few terms up to order }x^2).$$ Then you just multiply it out.

vela said:
You'll end up with
$$\left(1 - \frac{x^2}{20}\right)(1+\text{a few terms up to order }x^2).$$ Then you just multiply it out.

I see it now. Nice trick! ... but still about the same amount of work as division.

I'd love to see how vela's trick worked after I figure out this division.

I gave it a try not caring that things didn't cancel out like they usually do.

At the end, I got ##1 + \frac{5x}{4} + \frac{29x^2}{80} + ...##

Does that match up with what you got steven? It seems unlikely.

Last edited:
Zondrina said:
I'd love to see how vela's trick worked after I figure out this division.

I gave it a try not caring that things didn't cancel out like they usually do.

At the end, I got ##1 + \frac{5x}{4} + \frac{29x^2}{80} + ...##

Does that match up with what you got steven? It seems unlikely.

That matches what I got and seems reasonable.

stevenb said:
That matches what I got and seems reasonable.

Yeah, what threw me off was after the first run through of the division, I had to simplify what I got before I could continue. It just seemed a little weird at first.

I noticed the question also asked me to find f''(0) just now.

So f''(0) = 58/80 = 29/40.

Thanks for your help in confirming. It makes me feel better when someone else gets the same answer as well.

Zondrina said:
I noticed the question also asked me to find f''(0) just now.

So f''(0) = 58/80 = 29/40.

That makes sense. The first derivative f'(0) is 5/4. Hence, the Taylor series found by the expansion around zero, in terms of derivatives yields the same answer. 1+f'(0) x + f''(0) x^2/2 ... = 1+5x/4 + 29x/80 ...

Looks like you are ok. vela's approach works too because you get (1-x^2/20 ...)(1+5x/4 +33x^2/80 ...) which gives the same.

stevenb said:
Looks like you are ok. vela's approach works too because you get (1-x^2/20 ...)(1+5x/4 +33x^2/80 ...) which gives the same.

Ohhhhh I see that now. That's actually a pretty dirty trick. It seemed really far out there when he first said it, but I can see after using the expansion I get the same thing.

Just more tools for the toolkit right?

Plough it into your brain. I remember being sat in an exam, being faced with a similar problem and completely blanking on how to do it. It was very fustrating.

What is a Taylor series expansion?

A Taylor series expansion is a mathematical tool used to approximate a function using an infinite sum of terms. It is based on the idea that any smooth function can be approximated by a polynomial of increasing degree, with the coefficients of the polynomial being related to the derivatives of the function at a specific point.

Why do we need to calculate Taylor series expansions?

Taylor series expansions are useful because they allow us to approximate complicated functions with simpler ones, making calculations and analysis easier. They also help us understand the behavior of a function around a specific point and can be used to find values of the function at points where it is difficult to evaluate directly.

How do we calculate a Taylor series expansion?

To calculate a Taylor series expansion, we need to first choose a point around which we want to expand the function. Then, we take derivatives of the function at that point and evaluate them. These values become the coefficients of the terms in the Taylor series. Finally, we sum up all the terms to get the complete Taylor series expansion.

What is the difference between a Taylor series expansion and a Maclaurin series expansion?

A Taylor series expansion is a general expansion around a specific point, while a Maclaurin series expansion is a special case of a Taylor series expansion where the point of expansion is 0. This means that all the derivatives at this point are evaluated to be 0, making the calculations simpler.

What are some practical applications of Taylor series expansions?

Taylor series expansions have many applications in physics, engineering, and other areas of science. They are used to approximate solutions to differential equations, calculate areas and volumes of irregular shapes, and analyze the behavior of functions in various scenarios. They are also used in the development of numerical methods and algorithms for solving complex problems.