Calculating Tension, Moment of Inertia, and Angular Speed in a Rotating System

In summary, the problem involves a 12.4kg mass attached to a cord wrapped around a wheel of radius 10.0cm. The mass moves down a frictionless incline with an acceleration of 2.10m/s^2. The goal is to determine the tension in the rope, the moment of inertia of the wheel, and the angular speed of the wheel after 2.04s of rotation starting from rest. The process involves drawing a free body diagram and using Newton's laws to solve for the unknown variables. The final equations used are ΣFx = m*a = mgSinθ - T for tension and Σtorque = I*α = ½Mr^2*α= ½Mr
Ali0086
An m = 12.4kg mass is attached to a cord that is wrapped around a wheel of radius r = 10.0cm (see the figure below). The acceleration of the mass down the frictionless incline is measured to be a = 2.10m/s^2.
a) Assuming the axle of the wheel to be frictionless, and the angle to be θ = 36.2deg determine the tension in the rope.
b) Determine the moment of inertia of the wheel
c)Determine angular speed of the wheel 2.04s after it begins rotating, starting from rest.

All in all I just have a lot of trouble drawing free body diagrams and just figuring out how to approach a problem with my given set of known variables.

On my initial attempt for part a) I tried drawing a free body diagram but I didn't know if I should add the value I get from mgsin(theta) to the value that I got for F (I used m*a to get that value).

I've uploaded my attempt at a solution and I didn't get very far. I feel like there's a process at solving these questions but I just don't get it. Any help would be appreciated.

RoughWork.jpg
Inertia Image.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think that there is a force F? It is not mentioned in the problem statement.

I think you are a victim of Mr. d'Alembert!

Draw your FBDs with on the forces (the actual forces, not those you imagine) acting on the bodies. Then sum forces and set Sum F = m*a.

Dr.D said:
Why do you think that there is a force F? It is not mentioned in the problem statement.

I think you are a victim of Mr. d'Alembert!

Draw your FBDs with on the forces (the actual forces, not those you imagine) acting on the bodies. Then sum forces and set Sum F = m*a.

So there is no force at all acting on the block? If they give you an acceleration and a mass, wouldn't the product of those two be the force heading down the ramp? That's something that confuses me in FBDs. When is there actually a force present? When one is being constantly applied by an external object only?

No one said that there are no forces on the block. It is pretty clear that there are forces (1) normal to the ramp and acting on the block, ( 2) a force (tension) in the cord. If friction were involved, this would be yet another force. Oh, and don't forget the force of gravity (the weight). All of these are real forces; m*a is NEVER a force.

Read what Newton's law says: Sum F = m*a
All of the (real) forces go on the left side.

One more thing: For our purposes here, forces are either (1) contact forces, applied by a push or a pull through direct contact, or they are field forces, such as gravity. The first group, the contact forces, require that something be "attached" to the object to apply the force, such as a rope, a floor, or a hand, all of which are "in contact" with the object. Gravity, on the other hand, acts at a distance, without any direct agent to apply it. Thus a satellite in Earth orbit is subject to Earth's gravity, even though there is no agent (a rope, a hand, etc) to apply it.

Alright, so i got these two equations now, am I on the right track or did I go wrong somewhere?

ΣFx = m*a = mgSinθ - T
Σtorque = I*α = ½Mr^2*α= ½Mr^2*(a/r)edit: Nvm I got the correct answer

I used ΣFx = m*a = mgSinθ - T to find my tension and worked on from there

Thanks a lot for your help!

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Tension, Moment of Inertia, and Angular Speed in a Rotating System

1. How do you determine the tension in a rope?

To determine the tension in a rope, you can use a variety of methods including measuring the deflection of the rope under a known load, using a tension meter, or calculating the tension based on the material properties and dimensions of the rope.

2. What is the formula for calculating tension in a rope?

The formula for calculating tension in a rope is T = F * L, where T is the tension in the rope, F is the applied force, and L is the length of the rope.

3. How does the weight of an object affect the tension in a rope?

The weight of an object affects the tension in a rope by increasing the force applied to the rope. The greater the weight of the object, the greater the tension in the rope will be.

4. Can the tension in a rope change over time?

Yes, the tension in a rope can change over time. Factors such as temperature, weather conditions, and external forces can all affect the tension in a rope.

5. Why is it important to accurately determine the tension in a rope?

It is important to accurately determine the tension in a rope because it can impact the safety and functionality of the rope. Too much tension can cause the rope to break or fail, while too little tension can cause the rope to slip or not perform its intended function.