Calculating the Charge of 3 Capacitors

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the charge on a capacitor connected to a battery. The formula for equivalent capacitance is given and used to calculate the equivalent capacitance as 6.509 microF. This value is then multiplied by the battery voltage of 24 V to find the final charge on the capacitor, which is 156.226 microC or 1.56*10^-4 C.
freddy13

Homework Statement

Three capacitors having capacitance C1 = 3.00 microF, C2 = 8.50 microF and C3 = 15.0 microF are connected to a 24.0 V battery as shown. Calculate the charge on C3.

Homework Equations

$$ C_{eq}= \left ( \frac{1}{C_1+C_2} + \frac{1}{C_3}\right )^{-1}$$

Q = CΔV

The Attempt at a Solution

First I attempted to find the Capacitance saying that C1+C2= 11.5μC through the parallel addition of capacitors. From here, I plugged everything into the

Ceq=((1/C1+C2(1/C3))-1

equation and got my capacitance which was 2.74 μF. I took the result and plugged all of my values into the Q = CΔV equation, and got a final value of 57.096 μC, or 5.71*10-5 C.

I tried another way and got the same answer, so, any suggestions would be great. I think I messed up somewhere with the units.

Attachments

• prob04a_3capac.gif
    prob04a_3capac.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 866
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you explain your formula for the equivalent capacitance? Are there some parentheses and an operator missing that might make the order of operations clear (and correct)?

Ceq=((1/C1+C2(1/C3))-1
There are more "("'s than ")"'s.

Is that: $$C_{eq} = \left ( \frac{1}{C_1} + C_2 \left ( \frac{1}{C_3} \right ) \right )^{-1}$$
or maybe: $$ C_{eq}= \left ( \frac{1}{C_1+C_2} + \frac{1}{C_3}\right )^{-1}$$

Neither of those equations nets me the same answer you got though.
I think you need to go over your arithmetic carefully.

It is the second one! Sorry for the miscommunication!

Simon Bridge said:
or maybe: $$ C_{eq}= \left ( \frac{1}{C_1+C_2} + \frac{1}{C_3}\right )^{-1}$$

This one to be more exact!

Okay, can you run the calculation again using that formula? What value do you get for the equivalent capacitance? (The value you gave previously is not correct, although that formula is good. So... finger+calculator problems?)

I got 6.509 microF this time, does that sound correct?

Which, multiplied by the 24 V would give me 156.226 micro C, or 1.56*10^-4 C...is that right?

Yes. Much better :approve:

Thank you very much! Gotta watch those number entering errors!

1. How do I calculate the total charge for three capacitors in parallel?

To calculate the total charge for three capacitors in parallel, you can use the formula Q = Q1 + Q2 + Q3, where Q1, Q2, and Q3 are the individual charges of each capacitor. This is because in a parallel circuit, the total charge is divided equally among all the capacitors.

2. What is the formula for calculating the total charge of three capacitors in series?

The formula for calculating the total charge of three capacitors in series is Q = Q1 + Q2 + Q3, where Q1, Q2, and Q3 are the individual charges of each capacitor. This is because in a series circuit, the same amount of charge passes through each capacitor.

3. Can I use the same formula for both parallel and series circuits?

Yes, the formula for calculating the total charge of three capacitors can be used for both parallel and series circuits. However, in parallel circuits, the charge is divided among the capacitors, while in series circuits, the same amount of charge passes through each capacitor.

4. How do I calculate the individual charge of each capacitor in a series circuit?

To calculate the individual charge of each capacitor in a series circuit, you can use the formula Q = CV, where Q is the charge, C is the capacitance, and V is the voltage. You can also use the formula Q = I x t, where I is the current and t is the time. Since the same amount of charge passes through each capacitor in a series circuit, the individual charges will be the same.

5. What is the unit of measurement for charge in a circuit?

The unit of measurement for charge in a circuit is coulomb (C). This unit is named after French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb, who is known for his work with electric charges and forces.