Calculating the flow of water

• Thread starter herbicide
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flow Water
In summary, the conversation is about designing two bars with a water channel running through them. One bar is in the shape of an "L" and the other is in the shape of a "U." The water channel is 250 mm wide and 50 mm deep. The length of the "L" bar is 1800 mm x 1800 mm and the length of the "U" bar is 3800 mm x 3800 mm x 2800 mm. The pump to be used has a delivery rate of 440 lph with a delivery height of 1500 mm. The questions posed are what slope percentage is needed for moderate water flow, how much water is required, and if the chosen pump is suitable
herbicide
Before I start off I wish to make it clear that I am by no means a rocket scientist. This is to say that I don’t have a clue in regards to how to go about this.

Issue at hand: My employer asked me to design 2 bars (info desks) that have a water channel running through the middle of them.

One of the desks take on the form of a “L” the other takes on the from of a “U”. The channel where the water is to flow through is 250 mm wide and 50 mm deep.

The length of the “L” form bar is 1800 mm x 1800 mm.
The length of the “U” form bar is 3800 mm x 3800 mm x 2800 mm.

I pump I plan on using has a delivery rate of 440 lph (liters per hour) with a delivery height of 1500 mm.

My questions:

a) What is the need a percentage of slope that is required to have the water move at moderate flow rate?
b) How much water is required?
c) Am I planning on using the right pump?

I am in dire need of assistance on this; my performance on this particular task will be evaluated and it could end up costing my job.

:smile: Greetings from Germany,

-h

Physics news on Phys.org
Without a diagram, this is impossible to visualize.

What is the formula for calculating the flow of water?

The formula for calculating the flow of water is Q = A * V, where Q is the flow rate, A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe or channel, and V is the velocity of the water.

How do I measure the velocity of water?

The velocity of water can be measured by using a flow meter, which measures the speed at which the water is flowing through a specific point in the pipe or channel.

What units are used to measure the flow of water?

The flow rate of water is typically measured in gallons per minute (GPM) or cubic feet per second (CFS). However, other units such as liters per second or cubic meters per hour may also be used.

What factors can affect the flow of water?

The flow of water can be affected by factors such as the diameter and material of the pipe or channel, the slope of the pipe or channel, and any obstructions or bends in the path of the water.

How can I calculate the flow of water in a closed system?

To calculate the flow of water in a closed system, you will need to consider the pressure and resistance within the system. This can be done using the Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the pressure, velocity, and height of the water at different points in the system.