Calculating the Magnitude of a Projected Force

In summary, the magnitude of the projection of force F = 700 N along the u axis is 290 N. To find this, a unit vector along the u-axis was constructed using trigonometry, and then the dot product was used to find the projection of F along this direction. The final answer was rounded to two significant figures.
Robb

Homework Statement

Hibbler.ch2.p121.jpg

Determine the magnitude of the projection of force F = 700 N along the u axis

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A(-2, 4, 4)
r(AO) = 2i -4j - 4k
r(AO mag)= 6
u(AO) = 1/3i - 2/3j - 2/3k
F(AO) = 233.3333i - 466.6667j - 466.6667k

I'm not sure where to go from here. The only info I can figure about u is the 30 degree angle between it and the y axis.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a vector problem. Do you know how to find the projection of one vector along the direction of another?

F dotted with u(AO)

Robb said:
F dotted with u(AO)
Hmm. Don't you mean F dotted with u? Note that F lies along the direction OA. So you'll need to construct a vector for F and another for the u unit vector. That 30° angle should come in handy for the latter.

F = 233.3333i - 466.6667j - 466.6667k

I guess I'm just not seeing the u unit vector. And, yes, that is what i meant.

Robb said:
F = 233.3333i - 466.6667j - 466.6667k

I guess I'm just not seeing the u unit vector. And, yes, that is what i meant.
I think you need to check the signs of your F components. It looks to me from the diagram that F is pointing towards the negative x-axis, positive y-axis, and positive z-axis.

The u unit vector should lie along the u-axis. Use a bit of trig to find the x and y components. It appears to lie in the x-y plane...

gneill said:
I think you need to check the signs of your F components. It looks to me from the diagram that F is pointing towards the negative x-axis, positive y-axis, and positive z-axis.

The u unit vector should lie along the u-axis. Use a bit of trig to find the x and y components. It appears to lie in the x-y plane...

u(x) = 4/cos30 = 4.62
u(y) = sqrt(4.62^2 - 4^2) = 2.31
u = .5i +.866j
F(u) = (-233.3333i)(.5) + (466.6667)(.866) = 287.5

They want the answer to two significant figures

The simplest approach to finding a unit vector is to imagine that it sits within a unit circle, and then the sine and cosine of a suitable angle will give your the components directly. The magnitude of any vector with unit length is always unity, just like the radius of the unit circle.

The axis u is indicated as having an angle of 30° with respect to the y-axis. So you should expect the y-component to be the cosine of the angle and the x-component to be the sine of the angle. You seem to have found the opposite (and I don't really understand where your value of 4 came from... there's nothing indicated in the figure that ascribes a dimension of 4 in relation to the u-axis).

This is what you have to work with:

upload_2016-9-29_22-10-34.png

Yep, I understand that. I was grabbing at straws because I'm not sure how to get values for u.

Robb said:
Yep, I understand that. I was grabbing at straws because I'm not sure how to get values for u.

Okay, so are you good to go now?

gneill said:
Okay, so are you good to go now?

So, I have u(y) = ucos30 and u(x) = usin30
I guess where I'm lost in all of this is what is u? I need to use the dot product to solve but without a value for the above components how can I do that. Feeling a little blind here.

Robb said:
So, I have u(y) = ucos30 and u(x) = usin30
I guess where I'm lost in all of this is what is u? I need to use the dot product to solve but without a value for the above components how can I do that. Feeling a little blind here.
u is a unit vector along the positive u-axis. Refer to the diagram that I posted.

All you need in order to find a projection along a given direction is to dot a given vector with a unit vector in the desired direction. Works with any unit vector; You can try it with your F vector and the unit vectors for the x,y, and z axis if you like. Take the dot product of F with any of the axes unit vectors and you should "extract" that component from the F vector.

usin30 + ucos30 = 1
u = .7214
u(x) = .3607
u(y) = .6248
F dot u = 209
To two sig figs F(u) = 210

Robb said:
usin30 + ucos30 = 1
No, how do vector components add?
u = .7214
u(x) = .3607
u(y) = .6248
u can't be both a scalar and a vector. Besides, the sine and cosines all by themselves satisfy the requirement of unit vector components. ##sin^2 + cos^2 = 1##. So just use the sine and cosine as the components of u.
F dot u = 209
To two sig figs F(u) = 210
You'll need to re-do that with the fixed u.

yeah, that wasn't real smart.

F dot u = (-233.3333)(.5) + (466.6667)(.8661) = 287.5

two sig figs = 290

Robb said:
yeah, that wasn't real smart.

F dot u = (-233.3333)(.5) + (466.6667)(.8661) = 287.5

two sig figs = 290
You've mixed up the components of u again. Look at the diagram in post #8. Is the sine of the angle along the y-axis or the x-axis?

gneill said:
You've mixed up the components of u again. Look at the diagram in post #8. Is the sine of the angle along the y-axis or the x-axis?
sin=x
cos=y

Robb said:
sin=x
cos=y
Right. And sin(30°) = 1/2, while cos(30°) = √3 / 2.

gneill said:
Right. And sin(30°) = 1/2, while cos(30°) = √3 / 2.

I agree: (-233.333)(.5) + (466.6667)(.8661) = 287.5 or 290

Robb said:
I agree: (-233.333)(.5) + (466.6667)(.8661) = 287.5 or 290
D'oh! I apologize. I misread and jumped without engaging my brain o0)

You have indeed got u sorted out now. So your result is correct :approve:

No problem. My brain has not been engaged this entire problem. I kept thinking I needed to find a value for u when u is simply 1 because it is a unit vector! Thanks for your help, I learned a couple things on this one!

What is magnitude of projection force?

The magnitude of projection force refers to the strength or intensity of the force that is applied to an object in order to project or propel it in a particular direction.

How is magnitude of projection force calculated?

The magnitude of projection force can be calculated using the formula F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

What factors affect the magnitude of projection force?

The magnitude of projection force is affected by the mass of the object, the angle at which the force is applied, and the velocity or speed at which the object is projected.

Why is understanding magnitude of projection force important in science?

Understanding the magnitude of projection force is important in many scientific fields, such as physics and engineering, as it allows for accurate calculations and predictions of the motion and behavior of objects.

How can magnitude of projection force be applied in real life?

The concept of magnitude of projection force is applied in many real-life situations, such as sports (e.g. throwing a ball), transportation (e.g. launching a rocket), and construction (e.g. using cranes to lift heavy objects).