Calculating the Mass of H2 Gas Using Pressure and Volume Measurements

In summary, the mass of H2 gas obtained from the experiment is 33.4 grams and the correct R value to use for calculations with torr is 0.0821.
octahedron
[SOLVED] Pressure/Mass Relationship

Homework Statement

[tex]H_{2}[/tex] gas was obtained by the displacement of [tex]H_{2}O[/tex] at total pressure of 833 torr. The volume of the obtained gas was .5 Liters and the vapor pressure of [tex]H_{2}O[/tex] was 22 torr. Find the mass of [tex]H_{2}[/tex] gas.

Homework Equations

[tex]P_{tot} = P_{1} + P_{2}[/tex]
[tex] P_{tot} = (n_{1} + n_{2})(\frac{RT}{V})[/tex]
[tex] P_{1} = (n_{1})(\frac{RT}{V})[/tex]
[tex] P_{2} = (n_{2})(\frac{RT}{V})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Now here is my attempt, which I'm definitely not sure of:

[tex]P_{tot} = P_{H_{2}O} + P_{H_{2}} \Rightarrow P_{H_{2}} = 833 - 22 = 811[/tex]

Then,

[tex]n_{H_{2}} = \frac{PV}{RT} = \frac{(811)(0.5)}{(0.082)(295)} = 16.7[/tex]

And then trivially obtain the mass of hydrogen in the experiment:

[tex]m_{H_{2}} = (2)(16.7) = 33.4 g[/tex]

Is this correct? I'm not sure of how I obtained [tex]P_{H_{2}}[/tex].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm going to assume this was at a temperature of 295°K, because that's what you used in your calculations, but you didn't state this in the problem.

You calculated the pressure of the hydrogen gas correctly. The total pressure of the gas is 833 torr, with H2O gas accounting for 22 torr of that pressure. This means that the hydrogen gas is responsible for the remaining 811 torr of pressure.

The equation you used was fine, but you didn't use the correct "R" value. If you use torr for pressure, you can't use 0.0821 for the R value. Divide the pressure by 760 to convert to atmospheres, which then let's you use 0.0821 for the R value. Or you can use the proper R value for when you have a pressure measured torr, but I prefer to only have to memorize R value.

So just divide the answers you got by 760 and they will be correct.

Thanks nautikal!

1. What is the pressure/mass relationship?

The pressure/mass relationship is a scientific concept that describes the relationship between the pressure exerted on a surface and the mass of the object or substance causing the pressure. This relationship is often explained through the equation P = F/A, where P is the pressure, F is the force, and A is the surface area.

2. How does pressure affect mass?

Pressure can affect mass in several ways. For example, increased pressure can compress a gas, resulting in a decrease in its volume and therefore its mass. Additionally, pressure can cause objects to sink or float, which can affect their apparent mass. Overall, pressure and mass have a direct relationship, meaning that an increase in pressure will typically result in an increase in mass.

3. What is the unit of measurement for pressure/mass relationship?

The unit of measurement for pressure/mass relationship depends on the specific system of units being used. In the International System of Units (SI), the unit for pressure is the Pascal (Pa), and the unit for mass is the kilogram (kg). However, in other systems of units, such as the British imperial system, the unit for pressure is pounds per square inch (psi) and the unit for mass is pounds (lbs).

4. How does altitude affect the pressure/mass relationship?

Altitude can affect the pressure/mass relationship in several ways. As altitude increases, the air pressure decreases, which can affect the density and therefore the mass of gases. Additionally, altitude can also affect the gravitational force acting on an object, which can impact its weight and apparent mass. However, the relationship between pressure and mass remains the same regardless of altitude.

5. What are some real-world applications of the pressure/mass relationship?

The pressure/mass relationship has many real-world applications. For example, it is used in weather forecasting to understand changes in air pressure and how they may affect weather patterns. It is also crucial in the field of aeronautics, where pressure changes can impact the performance of aircraft. Additionally, the pressure/mass relationship is used in industries such as engineering and construction to ensure that structures can withstand the forces exerted on them.