Calculating the moment of inertia for this configuration

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Demon117
Messages
162
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


I need to find the rotational kinetic energy of this system in the figure I have provided. Here the spring is rotating with the system at angular speed [itex]\omega[/itex]. The two beads on the wire move vertically, and the third bead is held by two massless rods of equal length L.


The Attempt at a Solution


Would the moment of inertia for the the whole thing just be

[itex]I_{1,3}=2mL^{2}[/itex]

[itex]I_{2,3}=2mL^{2}[/itex]

[itex]I_{total}=4mL^{2}[/itex]

Any suggestions would be helpful.
 
Attachments
  • Rotating spring beads.jpg
    Rotating spring beads.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 567
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Demon117 said:

Homework Statement


I need to find the rotational kinetic energy of this system in the figure I have provided. Here the spring is rotating with the system at angular speed [itex]\omega[/itex]. The two beads on the wire move vertically, and the third bead is held by two massless rods of equal length L.


The Attempt at a Solution


Would the moment of inertia for the the whole thing just be

[itex]I_{1,3}=2mL^{2}[/itex]

[itex]I_{2,3}=2mL^{2}[/itex]

[itex]I_{total}=4mL^{2}[/itex]

Any suggestions would be helpful.
attachment.php?attachmentid=44946&d=1331411191.jpg


It looks as though the system is constrained to rotate about the z-axis.

You need to find the moment of inertia about the z-axis.
 
Demon117 said:
Will it depend on the angle [itex]\alpha[/itex]?

Yes it will depend on α .