Calculating the residue of complicated expression

In summary: Why not?You got them k's in there representing two different things, one of the worst things you can do in math. The formula for the residue is in terms of the order of the pole given as k. Me, I'd change the pi thing to n\pi. Ok, got that straight. Now what is the order of the pole? How you know it's third order or k=3? Do that later. Let's assume it is for n\neq 0, then by your formula, we could write:\text{Res}\left(f(z),n\pi\right)= \lim_{z\to n\pi} \frac{1
VVS

Homework Statement

Hi, I want to calculate the residue of this expression:
residual2.jpg

Homework Equations

I know that the residue of a function with a pole of k-th order is given by this:
residue_formula.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the function has infinite number of poles at k*∏, for k=-∞ to k=+∞
I think one has to expand the sine function or something like that but I don't know how it simplifies things.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well the obvious first question is what is the order of the poles so you can use your formula?

VVS said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 59634

Homework Equations

I know that the residue of a function with a pole of k-th order is given by this:
View attachment 59635

I think one has to expand the sine function or something like that but I don't know how it simplifies things.

This function does not have just ONE residue, so it is wrong to talk about THE residue. It has residues at lots of different points. What, exactly, do you want?

I'd say it is of third order. Do I need to expand sin(z) around pi?

Ray Vickson said:
This function does not have just ONE residue, so it is wrong to talk about THE residue. It has residues at lots of different points. What, exactly, do you want?

I know the answer, but I can't work it out myself. We want an expression for the residues as a function of k, since we have poles at multiples k*pi.

VVS said:
I know the answer, but I can't work it out myself. We want an expression for the residues as a function of k, since we have poles at multiples k*pi.

Look first at the case k = 0. What do you think you should do? (You really should work this out for yourself; that is the only way to learn!)

Then look at k = ±1, ±2, etc.; these give different results from the k = 0 case. Do you see why?

VVS said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 59634

Homework Equations

View attachment 59635

You got them k's in there representing two different things, one of the worst things you can do in math. The formula for the residue is in terms of the order of the pole given as k. Me, I'd change the pi thing to [itex]n\pi[/itex]. Ok, got that straight. Now what is the order of the pole? How you know it's third order or k=3? Do that later. Let's assume it is for [itex]n\neq 0[/itex], then by your formula, we could write:

[tex]\text{Res}\left(f(z),n\pi\right)= \lim_{z\to n\pi} \frac{1}{2}\frac{d^2}{dz^2}\left\{(z-n\pi)^2 f(z)\right\},\quad n=\pm 1, \pm 2,\cdots[/tex]

We can't take that limit?

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of calculating the residue of a complicated expression?

The residue of a complicated expression is used to calculate the value of a function at a singular point, particularly in the field of complex analysis. It is also helpful in solving integrals and evaluating complex functions.

2. How is the residue of a complicated expression calculated?

The residue of a complicated expression can be calculated using the formula Res(f,c) = (1/(n-1)!) * lim(z->c) [(d^(n-1)/dz^(n-1)) * (z-c)^n * f(z)], where n is the order of the pole at c and f(z) is the given function.

3. Can the residue of a complicated expression be negative?

Yes, the residue of a complicated expression can be negative. It is a complex number and can have both a real and imaginary part, allowing it to be positive, negative, or zero.

4. How does the residue of a complicated expression relate to the Cauchy integral formula?

The Cauchy integral formula states that the value of a function at a point inside a contour is equal to the sum of the residues of the function at all singular points inside the contour. Therefore, calculating the residue of a complicated expression can help in evaluating complex integrals using the Cauchy integral formula.

5. What are some common techniques for calculating the residue of a complicated expression?

Some common techniques for calculating the residue of a complicated expression include using the limit definition, using the Laurent series expansion, and using the Cauchy integral formula. Additionally, techniques such as partial fraction decomposition and using the residue theorem can also be helpful in certain cases.