1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the resultant electric field

1. Oct 12, 2016 #1

diredragon

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the picture below it is asked that i calculate the resultant electric field if the linear charge density is known.

Calculate the resultant electric field of a charged semicircle wire (positioned as in the picture) at some point M on the Z axis if the linear charge density of the wire is known ( wire is thought to be infinetly thin. )
    IMG_1636.JPG
    2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

I calculated the projections but the part ( which i circled ) is the solution from the book. That has to be wrong right? When we replace the linear charge density expression the π is squared not lost?

[Mentor note: Added OP's text description of the problem statement, moved the image to be inside the problem statement section.]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Can you provide a text description of the problem statement please? Helpers shouldn't have to decipher your math to understand the layout of the charge distribution under consideration.

Update: I massaged the problem statement to include the description provided by the OP.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  4. Oct 12, 2016 #3

diredragon

Gold Member

Ok sorry xD...Calculate the resultant electric field of a charged semicircle wire (positioned as in the picture) at some point M on the Z axis if the linear charge density of the wire is known ( wire is thought to be infinetly thin. )

5. Oct 12, 2016 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Looks like a circular line of total charge ##Q##... radius ##a## .... so charge density ##\lambda = Q/2\pi a##
    [edit - no it is a semi-circle ... then charge density is ##Q/\pi a## - you wrote the other]
    The task is to find the field on the z axis... is this correct?
    However, you spend a lot of time apparently looking for ##E_x##
    [edit: explains the time to find the x component]

See example:
    http://www.phys.uri.edu/gerhard/PHY204/tsl329.pdf

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted