1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the tangential component of the force acting on a projectile

1. Jul 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a projectile launched horizontally out the window of a tall building at a speed v(0). Determine an expression for the tangential component of the force acting on the projectile in terms of m, g, t, and v(0). Assume that the air has a negligible effect on the motion.

2. Relevant equations
    F = ma, mostly deductions.

3. The attempt at a solution
    V(h) = the horizontal velocity = v(0)
    V(v) = the vertical velocity = mt

From here, I assume that since the horizontal velocity does not change because of negligible air resistance, F(h) = horizontal element of the total force applied on the projectile = zero. F(v) = mass * gravity = mg. However, this brings me to where I'm stuck -- I can't figure out how to determine the angle at which the projectile is falling. It can't be straight down. Do I find the angle using the velocities instead and then apply it to the force?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi kylera! :smile:

Yes, the angle changes with t …

so find the horizontal and vertical components of the velocity as a function of t. :smile:
  4. Jul 10, 2008 #3
    Done! Thanks!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?