1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the work done moving a charge in a magnetic field

1. Nov 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

There are two infinitely long wires A and B, each carries a current of 1 Amp in the same direction. The two wires are 4m apart.
    a) Calculate the magnetic field created by the currents in the two wires at points C and D. Point D is 1m away from wire A and point C is 2m away from A.

b) Calculate the work required to move a point charge of +1x10-6 C from point C to point D along the shortest path.

2. Relevant equations

B = µ0I / 2πr
    F = qvB
    W = qEd
    E = F/q
    3. The attempt at a solution

I was able to work out part a) no problem and found the magnetic field at point D is 6.6*10^-8 T and at point C its 2*10^-7 T. My problem is wit part b) :/ How do I find the work done moving a charge from one magnetic field to another? I played around with the formulas a bit and got W = qvBd, but my problem is what do I use for B? Would I be correct in saying that B is the sum of the two magnetic fields? I'm also not given a value for the velocity v so am I going about this the wrong way?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2011 #2
    B wouldn't be the sum of the two fields. Think about this problem from the perspective of the charge.

4. Nov 30, 2011 #3
    I checked over my figures again and found that there is no magnetic field at point C. The charge is moving 1m towards wire A, from C to D so I know what the magnetic field is. But no matter how many times I go through it I just can't find a value for the work done without a value for the velocity :/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook