Calculating the zeta function over a hypersurface in project

In summary: N_s = p^{2s} + (-1)^1 Tr(Frob^1, 0) = p^{2s} + 0 = p^{2s}So, in summary, the zeta function of x_0x_1-x_2x_3=0 in F_p is given by:\exp(\sum_{s=1}^\infty \frac{p^{2s} u^s}{s})I hope this helps clarify the solution and the discrepancies you were seeing in your calculations.
6c 6f 76 65

Homework Statement

Calculate the zeta function of [itex]x_0x_1-x_2x_3=0[/itex] in [itex]F_p[/itex]

Homework Equations

Zeta function of the hypersurface defined by f:
[itex]\exp(\sum_{s=1}^\infty \frac{N_s u^s}{s})[/itex]
[itex]N_s[/itex] is the number of zeros of f in [itex]P^n(F_p)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My biggest struggle is finding [itex]N_s[/itex], here's what I've thought so far:

[itex]N_s[/itex] is composed of finite points and "points at infinity". The points at infinity are solutions on the form [itex](0, 1, \frac{a_2}{a_1}, \frac{a_3}{a_1})[/itex] which gives: [itex](\frac{a_2}{a_1})(\frac{a_3}{a_1})=0[/itex], the first factor has p possibilities (second factor 0), or first factor is 0 and second factor has p possibilities minus when both iz 0 (overcounting) which gives [itex]2p-1[/itex] points at infinity. Not sure what to say about the amount of finite points.

According to my book the should be [itex]2p+1[/itex] points at infinity and not [itex]2p-1[/itex], and the number of finite points should be [itex]p^2[/itex] making [itex]N_s=p^{2s}+2p^s+1[/itex], (replacing p with [itex]p^s[/itex]). What have I've done wrong? And is the number of finite points all possible combinations of [itex]\frac{a_2}{a_1}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{a_3}{a_1}[/itex], [itex]p^2[/itex]?

Any help much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for your post. Let's break down the problem and see if we can find a solution.

First, let's define the zeta function of a hypersurface in F_p. The zeta function is defined as:

\exp(\sum_{s=1}^\infty \frac{N_s u^s}{s})

Where N_s is the number of solutions to the hypersurface in P^n(F_p). In this case, our hypersurface is defined by the equation x_0x_1-x_2x_3=0. So, we need to find the number of solutions to this equation in P^3(F_p).

To find the number of solutions, we can use the following formula:

N_s = p^{2s} + \sum_{i=1}^s (-1)^i Tr(Frob^i, H^i)

Where p is the characteristic of the field, s is the degree of the hypersurface, Tr is the trace operator, and Frob is the Frobenius automorphism. In our case, p is the characteristic of F_p, s=3, and H^i is the i-th cohomology group of the hypersurface.

Now, let's break down the equation x_0x_1-x_2x_3=0. This is a degree 2 hypersurface in P^3(F_p). Using the formula above, we can find the number of solutions to this equation in P^3(F_p) by calculating the cohomology groups of the hypersurface.

To do this, we can use the Lefschetz hyperplane theorem, which states that the cohomology groups of a hypersurface in P^n(F_p) are isomorphic to the cohomology groups of a hyperplane in P^{n-1}(F_p). In our case, this means that the cohomology groups of x_0x_1-x_2x_3=0 in P^3(F_p) are isomorphic to the cohomology groups of x_0x_1=0 in P^2(F_p).

The cohomology groups of x_0x_1=0 in P^2(F_p) are given by:

H^0 = 1
H^1 = 0
H^2 = 1

Substituting these values into the formula for N_s, we get:

1. What is the zeta function over a hypersurface in project?

The zeta function over a hypersurface in project is a mathematical function that is used to calculate the number of points on a hypersurface in projective space over a finite field.

2. Why is it important to calculate the zeta function over a hypersurface in project?

Calculating the zeta function over a hypersurface in project is important because it provides valuable information about the geometry and arithmetic of the hypersurface. It can also be used in cryptography and coding theory.

3. How is the zeta function over a hypersurface in project calculated?

The zeta function over a hypersurface in project is calculated using a formula that involves the number of points on the hypersurface and the number of points on certain subvarieties of the hypersurface. This formula is known as the Weil conjectures.

4. What is the significance of the Weil conjectures in calculating the zeta function over a hypersurface in project?

The Weil conjectures provide a way to calculate the zeta function over a hypersurface in project by reducing it to a simpler problem involving subvarieties. This allows for a more efficient and accurate calculation of the zeta function.

5. Can the zeta function over a hypersurface in project be calculated for any type of hypersurface?

Yes, the zeta function can be calculated for any type of hypersurface in project. However, the calculations may become more complex for higher dimensional hypersurfaces.