Calculating Torque on a Dam: How Does Changing the Height Affect the Lever Arm?

• Thread starter Fisicks
  • Start date
In summary: The water's weight pushes down on the dam and creates a torque about the base of the dam. This torque can be considered to act with a lever arm equal to h/3.
Fisicks

Homework Statement

Water stands at a height h behind a vertical dam of uniform width b.
Show that the torque about the base of the dam due to this force can be considered to act with a lever arm equal to h/3.

Homework Equations

F=PA
T=Fr(perpendicular)

The Attempt at a Solution

Im picturing a giant dam in my head and I just do not see how reducing the height to 1/3, will have the same torque. I also calculated the entire force on the dam which is pg(h^2)b/2.

Another part of the question is For a freestanding concrete dam of uniform thickness t and height h, what minimum thickness is needed to prevent overturning? and nothing is coming to mind.

Thanks for your help,
Fisicks

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a great start with the F = pg(h^2)b/2.
You must have integrated dF over the height of the dam.
Repeat that for integral of dT = h*dF to get the torque.
Having Torque and Force, you can use T = F*d to solve for d. It works out to h/3.

The second part must be to think of the dam as a rectangular block of concrete with a force acting 1/3 of the way up. If it is too thin, the force will tilt it up on the outer edge like pushing a domino over. I'm thinking you would do torques about this edge - the force of the water torque vs the weight of the concrete torque. The first will have 1/3 the height of the dam in it and the second will have half the thickness of the dam.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

Most welcome! Interesting problem.

Ok. the second part is giving me a little trouble.

The weight of the dam must equal to force caused by the torque at 1/3h.

Thus (tbh)(density of concrete)g=(density of water)g((h/3)^2)b/2 which is incorrect.

Also, i replaced the right side with the value i got for total force and it was still wrong.

There is something wrong with that equation. Back up a bit.
The sum of the torques on the bottom left (outer) of the concrete = 0
That is, mgt/2 - F*h/3 = 0
since the weight acts at the center of the concrete and the water at height h/3.

Related to Calculating Torque on a Dam: How Does Changing the Height Affect the Lever Arm?

What is the purpose of a dam?

A dam is a structure built across a river or other body of water to control and regulate the flow of water. The main purpose of a dam is to store water for human use, such as irrigation, drinking water, and hydroelectric power generation.

How does the pressure on a dam affect its stability?

The pressure on a dam is determined by the weight of the water behind it. This pressure increases as the water level rises, putting stress on the structure. If the pressure becomes too great, it can cause the dam to fail, leading to catastrophic consequences. Therefore, engineers must carefully consider and account for the pressure on a dam when designing and constructing it.

What are the factors that contribute to the force on a dam?

The force on a dam is influenced by several factors, including the size and weight of the dam, the height and volume of the water behind it, the angle of the dam wall, and the strength of the materials used in its construction. Other factors such as wind, earthquakes, and sediment build-up can also impact the force on a dam.

How is the force on a dam measured?

The force on a dam is typically measured in kilonewtons (kN) or pounds (lbs). Engineers use instruments such as pressure gauges, strain gauges, and piezometers to measure the force exerted on a dam. These measurements are crucial in determining the stability and safety of the dam.

What are the consequences of excessive pressure or force on a dam?

If a dam is unable to withstand the pressure or force exerted on it, it can lead to failure or collapse. This can result in devastating consequences, including flooding, loss of property, and loss of life. Therefore, it is crucial to carefully monitor and manage the pressure and force on a dam to ensure its stability and safety.