Calculating total force on charged particle

In summary, the magnitude of the total electrostatic force on the third particle with charge 7 μC is approximately 700 N, assuming all charges are positive and the third charge is situated between the other two on the x-axis. The Coulomb constant is 8.9875e9 and rounding may vary depending on the number of significant figures required. The units for the result should be specified.
jaydnul

Homework Statement

A particle with charge 3 μC is located on the x-axis at the point -10 cm, and a second particle with the charge 4 μC is placed on the x-axis at -4 cm.

What is the magnitude of the total electrostatic force on the third particle with the charge 7 μC placed on the x-axis at -2 cm? The Coulomb constant is 8.9875e9.

Homework Equations

[tex]F=(k*Q_1*Q_2)/(r^2)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I realize how simple this problem is but the stupid online software keeps telling me I'm wrong (which I very well might be). I converted μC to C and cm to m. I keep getting 652, so with sig figs, 700 N.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show more of your work? What magnitudes and directions are you getting for the individual forces?

This is what I am doing.

[itex]ƩF=8.9875*10^9(\frac{.000003*.000007}{.08^2}+\frac{.000004*.000007}{.02^2})[/itex]

I assume its all in the same direction considering that's all the info they gave me in the question.

The forces won't be in the same direction! All the charges are positive and the third charge is situated BETWEEN the other two. Draw a diagram...pencil in the force vectors...

Check your value for the separation of the 3 and 7 μC charges.

Oh crap, it is supposed to be -10 cm not -.10 cm. So so sorry.

In this case, they are in the same direction, yes?

Jd0g33 said:
Oh crap, it is supposed to be -10 cm not -.10 cm. So so sorry.

In this case, they are in the same direction, yes?

Ah. Then yes, the forces will act in the same direction.

I'm seeing a net value a bit higher than what you've calculated (affects the rounding). Try keeping more digits in your intermediate calculations. The number of significant figures required is a bit of a puzzle, since all the values except for the constant k seem to be given as exact figures (no decimal points indicated). Rounding to one sig fig could be an issue, I'm not sure. Be sure to specify the units on the result, too, since most automated systems are picky that way.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks a bunch gneill!

What is the formula for calculating total force on a charged particle?

The formula for calculating total force on a charged particle is F = qE + qv x B, where F is the total force, q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field.

How do you calculate the electric force on a charged particle?

The electric force on a charged particle can be calculated using the formula F = qE, where F is the electric force, q is the charge of the particle, and E is the electric field strength.

How do you calculate the magnetic force on a charged particle?

The magnetic force on a charged particle can be calculated using the formula F = qv x B, where F is the magnetic force, q is the charge of the particle, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field strength.

What is the difference between electric and magnetic forces?

Electric forces act on charged particles due to the presence of an electric field, while magnetic forces act on charged particles due to the presence of a magnetic field. Electric forces are stronger than magnetic forces, and they have different effects on the motion of charged particles.

How does the direction of the magnetic force on a charged particle change?

The direction of the magnetic force on a charged particle changes depending on the direction of the magnetic field and the velocity of the particle. The force is always perpendicular to both the velocity and the magnetic field, and it follows the right-hand rule.