Calculating total mechanical energy of block on spring

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 5.0 kg block hanging from a spring with a spring constant of 2000N/m. The block is pulled down 5 cm from equilibrium and given an initial velocity of 1.0 m/s back toward equilibrium. The conversation aims to find the frequency, amplitude, and total mechanical energy of the motion. The participants use equations for oscillatory motion and calculate the frequency to be 10/π. They then discuss the process for finding the amplitude, considering the initial velocity and gravitational potential energy. One participant suggests setting the gravitational potential energy to zero at the full extension of the spring, while the other suggests setting it to zero at the initial point. Ultimately, they agree to
blintaro

Homework Statement

A 5.0 kg block hangs from a spring with spring constant 2000N/m. The block is pulled down 5 cm from equilibrium position and given an initial velocity of 1.0 m/s back toward equilibrium. What are the

a.) frequency
b.) amplitude
c.) total mechanical energy of the motion

Homework Equations

oscillatory motion x(t) = Acos(ωt + ø0)
f = ω/(2∏)
ω = √(k/m)

The Attempt at a Solution

frequency found by ω = √(k/m)
ω = √(2000/5) = 20
f = 20/(2∏) = 10/∏
which I believe was correct.

The only way to find the amplitude is to relate it to the velocity, correct? Here I can't simply use .5kA2 = .5m(Vmax)2 because at Vmax there should also be some gravitational potential. Used the motion equation and it's derivative:

x(t) = Acos(ωt + ø0)
v(t) = -ωAsin(ωt + ø0)

x(0) = .05 = A cos(ø0)
=>ø0 = cos-1(.05/A)

edit: here I made an error v(0) should be -20Asin(ø0)
v(0) = -1 = -20A/sin(ø0)
substituting...
-1 = -20Asin(cos-1(.05/A))
=>sin-1(1/(20A)) = cos-1(.05/A)

which is the same thing as saying (.05)2 + (.05)2 = A2 right? If so, A = .0707, which I can't verify at the moment but seems reasonable.

Where I get stuck is here:
The energy should be entirely kinetic at the bottom of the stretch given by .5k(A + Δx)2 where Δx was the initial stretch of the spring caused by gravity before it was pulled. So I figured I could set it equal to the initial condition when the spring is displaced .05 m from equilibrium and the initial velocity is 1.0 m/s:
.5k(A + Δx)2 = .5k(.05 + Δx)2 + mg(A-.05) + .5mV02
Then I solved for Δx, in order to plug it back into .5k(A + Δx)2 and I won't bore you with all that here but I've done it twice now and Δx comes out -.1549, which doesn't seem right. Plugging it into the equation negative or positive comes out as 26.6 and 223.6 respectively, and I believe the answer was supposed to be 5 as total mechanical energy.
After doing it again with the correct amplitude I got 8.94, a lot closer to 5.0 but still off...

If anyone sees my errors here I'd be super grateful!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
blintaro said:

Homework Statement

A 5.0 kg block hangs from a spring with spring constant 2000N/m. The block is pulled down 5 cm from equilibrium position and given an initial velocity of 1.0 m/s back toward equilibrium. What are the

a.) frequency
b.) amplitude
c.) total mechanical energy of the motion

Homework Equations

oscillatory motion x(t) = Acos(ωt + ø0)
f = ω/(2∏)
ω = √(k/m)

The Attempt at a Solution

frequency found by ω = √(k/m)
ω = √(2000/5) = 20
f = 20/(2∏) = 10/∏
which I believe was correct.

The only way to find the amplitude is to relate it to the velocity, correct? Here I can't simply use .5kA2 = .5m(Vmax)2 because at Vmax there should also be some gravitational potential. Used the motion equation and it's derivative:

x(t) = Acos(ωt + ø0)
v(t) = -ωAsin(ωt + ø0)

x(0) = .05 = A cos(ø0)
=>ø0 = cos-1(.05/A)

edit: here I made an error v(0) should be -20Asin(ø0)
v(0) = -1 = -20A/sin(ø0)
substituting...
-1 = -20Asin(cos-1(.05/A))
=>sin-1(1/(20A)) = cos-1(.05/A)

which is the same thing as saying (.05)2 + (.05)2 = A2 right? If so, A = .0707, which I can't verify at the moment but seems reasonable.
Right so far.

Where I get stuck is here:
The energy should be entirely kinetic at the bottom of the stretch

Nope. The energy at the bottom is the kinetic energy plus the energy stored in the spring.

Whoops, what I meant to say was that it should be all spring potential at the bottom of the stretch... there shouldn't be any kinetic because we're talking about the moment the block changes direction from down to up?

Also remember that simply because it's suspended above the Earth some distance, it starts out with some potential energy. Which you will never see unless the spring breaks. :)

KL7AJ said:
Also remember that simply because it's suspended above the Earth some distance, it starts out with some potential energy. Which you will never see unless the spring breaks. :)

Hmm, I set the gravitational potential equal to 0 at the full extension of the spring downward. That would work right?

blintaro said:
Whoops, what I meant to say was that it should be all spring potential at the bottom of the stretch... there shouldn't be any kinetic because we're talking about the moment the block changes direction from down to up?

No, the problem states that the initial velocity is 1 m/s so the initial k.e. must also be non-zero.

Gravitational potential energy enters the picture but for your purposes you can call the zero p.e. point the initial point, i.e when the mass is initially stretched 5 cm beyond its natural stretch. That way you can ignore it in answering your questions.

rude man said:
No, the problem states that the initial velocity is 1 m/s so the initial k.e. must also be non-zero.

Gravitational potential energy enters the picture but for your purposes you can call the zero p.e. point the initial point, i.e when the mass is initially stretched 5 cm beyond its natural stretch. That way you can ignore it in answering your questions.

Right, but at some point when the spring comes back down it will reach it's full amplitude and all the energy would be potential then (some extension beyond the initial condition x= .05) So I wanted to set that equal to the initial condition, then solve the entire expression for the unknown variable. But to do that I would have to set the potential to zero at the bottom of the stretch or I would have negative potential at the full extension and I'm not sure what that means.

Is there another way to do it?

blintaro said:
Right, but at some point when the spring comes back down it will reach it's full amplitude and all the energy would be potential then (some extension beyond the initial condition x= .05) So I wanted to set that equal to the initial condition, then solve the entire expression for the unknown variable. But to do that I would have to set the potential to zero at the bottom of the stretch or I would have negative potential at the full extension and I'm not sure what that means.

Is there another way to do it?

Why not just go with the initial conditions? That's all you have to do. The total energy is conserved after that; it never changes. So all you have is the initial k.e. plus the initial spring-stored energy.

There's a bit of definiton involved here: the total mechanical energy is the sum of kinetic and stored spring energy assuming the initial spring-stored energy does not include the spring-stored energy before the mass is pulled by the additional 5 cm. The argument here is that if we start at the point where the mass is held such that the spring is initially relaxed, that represents zero total mechanical energy. Which is the same as what I defied above since the drop in p.e. when the mass is allowed to dangle freely = the energy stored in the spring: mg delta x = 1/2 kx^2.

Also: the velocity at the bottom of each swing is not zero!
Look at you equations for x(t) and v(t) and you will see.
(The reason is the initial velocity of 1 m/s imparted to the mass).

Related to Calculating total mechanical energy of block on spring

1. How do you calculate the total mechanical energy of a block on a spring?

To calculate the total mechanical energy of a block on a spring, you need to consider two types of energy: potential energy and kinetic energy. The total mechanical energy is the sum of these two energies. The formula for potential energy is PE = 1/2 * k * x^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position. The formula for kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the block and v is the velocity. Simply add these two energies together to get the total mechanical energy.

2. What is the significance of calculating the total mechanical energy of a block on a spring?

Calculating the total mechanical energy of a block on a spring allows us to understand the behavior of the system. It helps us determine the maximum displacement and velocity of the block, as well as the total energy that can be stored in the spring. This information is important in engineering and design applications, as well as in understanding the motion of objects in the natural world.

3. Can the total mechanical energy of a block on a spring change?

Yes, the total mechanical energy of a block on a spring can change. This is because both potential and kinetic energy are dependent on the variables of displacement and velocity, which can change over time. When the block is displaced from its equilibrium position, the potential energy increases and the kinetic energy decreases. As the block oscillates back and forth, the total mechanical energy will fluctuate between potential and kinetic energy.

4. How does the mass of the block affect the total mechanical energy of a block on a spring?

The mass of the block affects the total mechanical energy of a block on a spring in two ways. First, a heavier block will have a greater potential energy at the same displacement compared to a lighter block. This is because the formula for potential energy includes the mass of the block. Second, a heavier block will have a greater kinetic energy at the same velocity compared to a lighter block. This is because the formula for kinetic energy also includes the mass of the block.

5. What happens to the total mechanical energy of a block on a spring if the spring constant is changed?

If the spring constant is changed, the total mechanical energy of a block on a spring will also change. This is because the potential energy of the spring is directly proportional to the spring constant. A higher spring constant will result in a higher potential energy at the same displacement, and therefore a higher total mechanical energy. Similarly, a lower spring constant will result in a lower potential energy and total mechanical energy.