Calculating Uncertainty of an intrinsic function

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the value and uncertainty of an equation related to the Bragg formula. The person mentions their values for theta and d, and their attempt at finding the uncertainty using the root mean squared formula. They realize they made a mistake by using degrees instead of radians and correct their error.
sam400

Homework Statement

I need to calculate the value and the uncertainty of the equation \begin{equation} S = 2d \sin(\theta) \end{equation} (one side of the Bragg formula), however, the final answer is strange, so I would like to know what I'm doing wrong.

Homework Equations

My $\theta$ value: $17.5^{\circ}$
My $d$ value: $4.28 \pm 0.03$ cm
As far as I know, for an intrinsic function, the uncertainty is the root mean squared of the differential, so
\begin{equation} \Delta S = \sqrt{\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial a} \Delta a \right)^{2} + \left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial b} \Delta b \right)^{2} } \end{equation}

The Attempt at a Solution

After plugging in the numbers and taking the derivatives, the formula that I get is:

\begin{equation}\Delta S = 2 \sqrt{( \sin\theta \Delta d)^{2} + (d \cos\theta \Delta \theta)^2} \end{equation}

For S, I get about 2.60 cm, which is more or less what I expected, but for $\Delta S$, I am getting a value of about 2, which means a relative error of 77%, so there is probably something wrong with what I did.

Physics news on Phys.org
What value did you use for ##\Delta \theta##?

Most frequent error in this context is using degrees instead of radians.

Oops, I just realized I have been using degrees for my values. Now my error is more sensible. I had 0.3 degrees for my angle uncertainty, but it wasn't converted to radians.

First of all, it is important to note that the uncertainty of an intrinsic function is not always the root mean squared of the differential. It depends on the specific function and how the variables are related. In this case, the uncertainty of the function S depends on the uncertainties of both d and theta, so the formula you have used is correct.

However, there may be a mistake in your calculation. It would be helpful if you could provide the full calculation so that I can check for any errors. Additionally, it would be helpful to know the units of your values for d and theta. If they are in different units, you may need to convert them to the same units before plugging them into the formula for uncertainty.

Another possibility is that your values for d and theta are not the true values, but rather estimated values with associated uncertainties. In that case, the uncertainty of S would also depend on the uncertainties of d and theta, which may explain the larger value you are getting for $\Delta S$. Again, providing the full calculation and units would be helpful in determining the issue.

In any case, it is important to carefully check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy in your results. If you are still having trouble, I suggest seeking help from a colleague or professor who is familiar with the specific equation and variables you are working with.

Related to Calculating Uncertainty of an intrinsic function

1. What is an intrinsic function?

An intrinsic function is a mathematical function that is built into a programming language. These functions are typically used to perform mathematical operations, such as calculating square roots or trigonometric functions, on numerical data.

2. Why is it important to calculate uncertainty of an intrinsic function?

Calculating uncertainty allows for a more accurate representation of the output of an intrinsic function. This is particularly important in scientific research, where precise and reliable results are crucial.

3. How is uncertainty calculated for an intrinsic function?

Uncertainty is calculated by determining the range of possible values for the output of an intrinsic function. This is done by considering the uncertainty of the input values and the mathematical operations involved in the function.

4. Can uncertainty be eliminated when using intrinsic functions?

No, uncertainty cannot be completely eliminated when using intrinsic functions. However, it can be minimized by using more precise input values and by using multiple calculations to verify the results.

5. How does uncertainty affect the reliability of results obtained from intrinsic functions?

Uncertainty can impact the reliability of results obtained from intrinsic functions by introducing a margin of error. This means that the calculated result may not be exact, but rather within a certain range of values. Therefore, it is important to consider and report uncertainty when using intrinsic functions in order to accurately interpret and evaluate the results.