1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Uncertainty of an intrinsic function

1. Nov 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to calculate the value and the uncertainty of the equation \begin{equation} S = 2d \sin(\theta) \end{equation} (one side of the Bragg formula), however, the final answer is strange, so I would like to know what I'm doing wrong.

2. Relevant equations
    My $\theta$ value: $17.5^{\circ}$
    My $d$ value: $4.28 \pm 0.03$ cm
    As far as I know, for an intrinsic function, the uncertainty is the root mean squared of the differential, so
    \begin{equation} \Delta S = \sqrt{\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial a} \Delta a \right)^{2} + \left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial b} \Delta b \right)^{2} } \end{equation}

3. The attempt at a solution

After plugging in the numbers and taking the derivatives, the formula that I get is:

\begin{equation}\Delta S = 2 \sqrt{( \sin\theta \Delta d)^{2} + (d \cos\theta \Delta \theta)^2} \end{equation}

For S, I get about 2.60 cm, which is more or less what I expected, but for $\Delta S$, I am getting a value of about 2, which means a relative error of 77%, so there is probably something wrong with what I did.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What value did you use for ##\Delta \theta##?

4. Nov 3, 2014 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Most frequent error in this context is using degrees instead of radians.

5. Nov 3, 2014 #4
    Oops, I just realized I have been using degrees for my values. Now my error is more sensible. I had 0.3 degrees for my angle uncertainty, but it wasn't converted to radians.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted