Calculating Velocity of Sliding Toolbox on a Slanted Roof

• Thread starter kgianqu2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the problem involves a roofer accidentally causing his toolbox to slide down a roof that is slanted at 44.0 degrees above the horizontal. The toolbox starts from rest and is 4.15 m from the lower edge of the roof. The kinetic friction force acting on the toolbox is 21.0 N. To find the velocity at which the toolbox will reach the edge of the roof, the formula 2*a*4.15 must be used and the resulting answer must be square rooted. However, there is confusion in determining the correct acceleration, with possible values of 5.18 and 2.56 being considered. More information is needed to solve the problem accurately.
kgianqu2
While a roofer is working on a roof that slants at 44.0 degrees above the horizontal, he accidentally nudges his 88.0 N toolbox, causing it to start sliding downward, starting from rest. If it starts 4.15 m from the lower edge of the roof, how fast will the toolbox be moving just as it reaches the edge of the roof if the kinetic friction force on it is 21.0 N?

To get the velocity I must do 2*a*4.15 (and then take the square root of the answer). I think the problem I am having is getting the correct acceleration. I have gotten 5.18 and 2.56. Both have gotten me nowhere. I really don't know what else to do, please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does this make sense?

Attachments

• roof191.jpg
    roof191.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 597
kgianqu2 said:
I have gotten 5.18 and 2.56.
Please show your working.

Related to Calculating Velocity of Sliding Toolbox on a Slanted Roof

1. How do you calculate the velocity of a toolbox?

The velocity of a toolbox can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for velocity is: velocity = distance / time.

2. What units are used to measure velocity?

Velocity is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h). However, other units such as feet per second (ft/s) or miles per hour (mph) can also be used.

3. Can the velocity of a toolbox change?

Yes, the velocity of a toolbox can change if its speed or direction changes. If the toolbox is moving at a constant speed in a straight line, its velocity will remain the same. But if it speeds up, slows down, or changes direction, its velocity will also change.

4. How does the mass of a toolbox affect its velocity?

The mass of a toolbox does not directly affect its velocity. However, a heavier toolbox may require more force to accelerate and therefore may have a lower velocity compared to a lighter toolbox.

5. What other factors can affect the velocity of a toolbox?

The velocity of a toolbox can also be affected by external forces such as friction, air resistance, and gravity. These forces can either increase or decrease the velocity of the toolbox, depending on their direction and magnitude.