Calculating Volume & Pressure of Big Air Piston

• Thread starter FreakMath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Piston
In summary, the conversation revolves around a physics problem involving a large piston and cylinder. The objective is to calculate the volume and pressure of air exiting through a 1sq ft opening at the top of the cylinder. Various approaches and equations are suggested by the participants, with the final conclusion being that the pressure difference would be negligible and the force exerted by the piston would be 10000 lb per sq ft. The conversation ends with a thank you and a clarification on the problem scenario.
FreakMath
Hi all I have a question which came up in one of our physics class and thought you can help out :)

It is not homework!

The objective is to calculate the volume and pressure of the air coming out of the following experiment:

Imagine a huge piston and cylinder. The surface of the piston is 10000sq ft and it is moving up in the cylinder at a rate of 1 ft per hour. As a result, air is being pressured to exit through a 1sq ft opening at the top.

1- what will be the pressure and airflow volume exiting the opening.

If anyone has a basic equation for this it will be wonderful.

Happy day
Ariel

Physics news on Phys.org
it all depends on the opening...if it is a nice circular opening and it is just a thin wall between the inside and the outside, then, it can be considered as an orifice. There should be some webpage outthere that lists loss coefficients in velocity heads...then, I think, the pressure inside should simply be the pressure loss through the orifice, given the speed of the air through it.

The pressure will be innoticeably higher than ambient one, and air flow will be 10000/3600 (~3) cubic feet per second.

FreakMath, There's a standard approach to these "hole in the wall" problems. An accurate solution of course is quite complicated, since you have to solve a fluid flow which depends on the viscosity of the fluid, details of the geometry, and so on. But to get an approximate answer, here's what to do, based on the particle current from kinetic theory.

Imagine that the fluid flows straight out from the hole. After one second the outflow will occupy a cylindrical shape with a volume A times vav, where vav is the average velocity of the gas particles. (Actually if you do it more carefully, it comes out A vav/4.) The average particle velocity can be calculated from the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, and is like √(kT/m) where m is the mass per particle. (Again, there's a small numerical factor which I'm ignoring.) So the outflow is approximately A √(kT/m) and from that you can easily figure out how the other variables are changing.

Bill_K, common sense approximate solution is that if air flows at the speed of 3 ft/s (1 m/s) through a hole as large as 1 sq.ft (e.g. round hole 40 cm in diameter) there is absolutely no noticable difference in pressure.
This is a case of quite mild wind through an open window.

Ok, no pressure difference. Now calculate the pressure required to maintain that rate of flow.

Bill_K said:
Ok, no pressure difference. Now calculate the pressure required to maintain that rate of flow.
In this case:
[tex]
P=\frac{v^2\rho}{2}\approx0.5\,{\rm Pa} = 5\cdot 10^{-6}\,{\rm atm} = 50 \mu {\rm m \hbox{ of water}} = 4 \mu {\rm m \hbox{ of mercury}}
[/tex]
Or if you prefer - that is a change of barometric pressure as you climb two inches.

Last edited:
Very good! See, it's not so small after all.

Thank you guys all for your help and sorry I could not get a reply to you sooner :)

back to our subject:

Lets turn this into a more predictable scenario and say that this piston has a long shaft attached to it measuring 1sqf and it is pushing upwards.

The push force is 10000lb.

based on the size of the piston will it be safe to say that the force that the shaft is pushing at is 10000 lb per sq f?

or I am getting this wrong?

:smile:

Related to Calculating Volume & Pressure of Big Air Piston

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a big air piston?

The formula for calculating the volume of a big air piston is V = A * d, where V is the volume, A is the cross-sectional area of the piston, and d is the distance the piston travels.

2. How do I measure the cross-sectional area of a big air piston?

To measure the cross-sectional area of a big air piston, you need to measure the diameter of the piston and then use the formula A = π * (d/2)^2, where A is the cross-sectional area and d is the diameter of the piston.

3. Can I use the same formula to calculate the volume of any size air piston?

Yes, the formula V = A * d can be used to calculate the volume of any size air piston, as long as you have the correct measurements for the cross-sectional area and distance traveled.

4. What units should I use for volume and pressure when calculating the pressure of a big air piston?

Volume is typically measured in cubic meters (m^3) or cubic feet (ft^3), while pressure is measured in pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi). It's important to use consistent units in your calculations to get accurate results.

5. How does the volume and pressure of a big air piston affect its performance?

The volume and pressure of a big air piston are directly related to its performance. A larger volume of air and higher pressure will result in a more powerful and efficient piston, while a smaller volume and lower pressure will result in less power and efficiency. It's important to carefully calculate and adjust these factors to optimize the performance of a big air piston.