Calculating Weight of Unknown Sample for 0.02M Cl- Solution

• Thread starter higherme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weight
In summary, the weight of the unknown sample needed to produce a 40mL [Cl-] solution of about 0.02M is approximately 0.0935g. This calculation is based on the assumption that the weight percent of NaCl in the unknown sample is 50%. The molar mass of NaCl should be 58.443g/mol, not 22.990g/mol as previously stated. The 0.02M concentration is likely used because it corresponds to a 1:1 volume ratio with AgNO3 in the experiment.
higherme
I'm not sure if I am doing this correctly... can someone check for me please.. thanks!

Calculate the weight of the unknown sample needed to produce a 40mL [Cl-] solution of about 0.02M. Assume that the weight percent of NaCl in the unknown sample is 50%.

My answer:

(0.02 mol/L) x (0.04L) x (22.990g NaCl/ mol)
= 0.018392 g x 2 <=== because the sample contains only 50% NaCl
= 0.036784 g

is that the right way? Thanks again.

and does anyone know why it has to be 0.02M? is it because we are going to use 0.02M of AgNO3 to precipitate out the Cl-

Physics news on Phys.org
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there more than 22.990g NaCl/mole?

ooops

the molar mass of NaCl should be 58.443g/mol

so it would be:
(0.02 mol/L) x (0.04L) x (58.443g NaCl/ mol)
=0.0467544g x 2
0.0935 g

is it right now? :P

and does anyone know why it has to be 0.02M [Cl-]? is it because in the experiment, we are going to use 0.02M of AgNO3 to precipitate out the Cl-??

that would seem reasonable, then it would be a 1:1 volume ratio you would need of AgNO3

Related to Calculating Weight of Unknown Sample for 0.02M Cl- Solution

What is the purpose of calculating the weight of an unknown sample in a 0.02M Cl- solution?

The purpose of this calculation is to determine the concentration of an unknown sample in a solution, specifically a 0.02M Cl- solution. This information is important for various scientific experiments and applications.

What materials are needed to calculate the weight of an unknown sample in a 0.02M Cl- solution?

The materials needed for this calculation include a balance, a beaker or flask, the unknown sample, and a 0.02M Cl- solution. It is also helpful to have a calculator and a pen and paper for recording data.

What is the formula for calculating the weight of an unknown sample in a 0.02M Cl- solution?

The formula for this calculation is: weight of unknown sample (g) = concentration (M) x volume (L) x molecular weight (g/mol). In this case, the concentration is 0.02M, the volume is the volume of the solution used, and the molecular weight is the molecular weight of the unknown sample.

How do you determine the volume of the 0.02M Cl- solution used in the calculation?

The volume of the 0.02M Cl- solution used can be determined by measuring the amount of solution added to the beaker or flask using a graduated cylinder or pipette. It is important to record the volume accurately for an accurate calculation.

What are some potential sources of error in calculating the weight of an unknown sample in a 0.02M Cl- solution?

Potential sources of error in this calculation include not accurately measuring the volume of the solution, using an incorrect concentration for the solution, or using an incorrect molecular weight for the unknown sample. It is important to carefully measure and record all data to minimize these errors.