Calculating Work Done Dragging a 20.0kg Suitcase

In summary, the work done by the passenger in dragging the 20.0kg suitcase for 15m on a flat floor at a constant velocity is equal to the coefficient of kinetic friction multiplied by the mass of the suitcase, the acceleration due to gravity, and the distance traveled. This can be represented as W = coeff of friction * mass * gravity * distance.
askthefool
A 20.0kg suitcase is dragged horizontally on a flat floor by a passenger at a constant velocity for 15m. The coefficent of kinetic friction is .340.

What is the work done by the passenger?

I've been trying to do W = FD
F = ma

But it says constant veloctiy, which throws me off. Constant veloocity means no acceleration right? I'm lost. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I get it actaully. It's werid. I post a question here and even before I get a response things start making sense.

I did, F - frictionForce = ma. Since a = 0, the F = frictionForce.

So, W = coeff of friction * mass * gravity * distance. Would that be correct?

askthefool said:
I think I get it actaully. It's werid. I post a question here and even before I get a response things start making sense.

I did, F - frictionForce = ma. Since a = 0, the F = frictionForce.

So, W = coeff of friction * mass * gravity * distance. Would that be correct?

Yep, sounds ok. Constant velocity indeed means no acceleration, which means that there's no resultant force (i.e. the forces balance, as you've done).

Related to Calculating Work Done Dragging a 20.0kg Suitcase

1. How do you calculate the work done when dragging a 20.0kg suitcase?

The work done when dragging a 20.0kg suitcase can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the suitcase by the distance it is dragged. This can be represented by the formula W = F*d, where W is the work done, F is the force, and d is the distance.

2. What is the unit of measurement for work done?

The unit of measurement for work done is joules (J). This is the same unit used to measure energy.

3. How does the weight of the suitcase affect the work done?

The weight of the suitcase affects the work done by increasing the force required to drag it. The heavier the suitcase, the more force is needed to move it a certain distance, resulting in a greater amount of work done.

4. Is the direction of the force applied important when calculating work done?

Yes, the direction of the force applied is important when calculating work done. The force and the distance must be in the same direction for work to be done. If the force and distance are in opposite directions, the work done will be negative.

5. How can the work done when dragging a suitcase be decreased?

The work done when dragging a suitcase can be decreased by either decreasing the force applied or decreasing the distance it is dragged. For example, using wheels on the suitcase can decrease the force needed to move it, and taking shorter trips with the suitcase can decrease the distance it is dragged.