Calculating Work Done on a Spring-Block System: Equivalent Equations?

In summary, the conversation discusses a system with a spring and block on a frictionless surface, where the speed of the block is 0 at equilibrium. The speaker asks if the energy of the system can be calculated after applying a force and displacement, and if the equations ΔE= Q+W1 and ΔE=Q-W2 are equivalent. They also ask how to calculate W2 and discuss the work done by the system and the spring force. The expert summarizes that the work done by the system is equal to -∫Fdx and emphasizes the importance of considering Newton's 3rd law in calculations. They also express their gratitude for learning from the expert.
daigiaga1994
Consider a system with a spring and a block. The block moves on a frictionless surface. At the equilibrium position, the speed of the block equals to 0. Now i pull the block by a force F with a displacement of x. Assuming that the speed at the final position is v.
Can you calculate the energy of the system after the process ?

If i apply the equation: ΔE= Q+W1 ( with W1 is the work donr on the system )
Is the above equation equivalent with the eqution: ΔE=Q-W2( with W2 is the work done by the system)

( Q is the heat that is transferred to the system)
If these equations is equivalent, please tell me how to calculate W2 ?
thank

Physics news on Phys.org
daigiaga1994 said:
Now i pull the block by a force F with a displacement of x.
Is the force constant over that displacement?

(The work done by the system is just the negative of the work done on the system.)

Doc Al said:
Is the force constant over that displacement?
I think it is not important if F is constant or not. Because we can represent the work done on the system by W1=∫Fdx.

In my opinion, W2 is the work done by the system, so it is done by the spring force ( This is only force created by the system) and equals to W2=-1/2kx2.

If the two equation is equivalent, W1+W2=0. It is clearly wrong because W1+W2=ΔK=1/2mv2.

This is my confusion

daigiaga1994 said:
In my opinion, W2 is the work done by the system, so it is done by the spring force ( This is only force created by the system) and equals to W2=-1/2kx2.
This is where you are going wrong. If you pull the block with a force F, then the block is pulling you with a force -F. (Newton's 3rd law.) So the work done by the system W2= -∫Fdx.

Thank you so much Doc Al. Now i know what is the work done by the system.
Hope that i can learn more from you. Thank again :D

Related to Calculating Work Done on a Spring-Block System: Equivalent Equations?

1. What is the definition of work done by a system?

Work done by a system is the energy transferred to or from the system through external forces. It is a measure of the change in energy of a system and is typically represented by the symbol W.

2. How do you calculate work done by a system?

The work done by a system can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the system by the distance over which the force is applied. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. Can work be done on a system without changing its energy?

No, work always results in a change in the energy of a system. This is because work is the transfer of energy and any transfer of energy will result in a change in the system's overall energy.

4. How is work done by a system related to the concept of work-energy theorem?

The work-energy theorem states that the net work done on a system is equal to the change in the system's kinetic energy. This means that the work done by a system is directly related to the change in its energy, specifically its kinetic energy.

5. Can the sign of work done by a system be negative?

Yes, the sign of work done by a system can be negative. This occurs when the force applied to the system is in the opposite direction of the displacement, resulting in a decrease in the system's energy.