1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Work

1. Oct 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    calculate work when mass of car is 2400kg and displacement is 200m the car travels at velocity of 26.5m/s then speeds up to 30m/s
    2. Relevant equations
    M- 2400 kg
    Vi - 26.5m/s
    Vf- 30 m/s
    D- 200 m

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am struggling with figuring out how to solve this problem would i have to use the formula w = Ek - Ek? But theb i dont end up usinh displacement is there no need to use it here? Does the question have too much information given?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What do you think and why?

4. Oct 21, 2016 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are two ways to solve the problem and both give the same answer.

5. Oct 21, 2016 #4
    I think that yes u can solve without displacement. Thats the way i make sense of the question Ek final minus Ek initial!

6. Oct 21, 2016 #5
    use ##W = {1\over 2}m(v_f^2 - v_i^2)##

7. Oct 21, 2016 #6

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can also solve it by using the displacement and the equations of motion to calculate the acceleration. Then apply Newtons law to give the force. Then work = force * distance. Gives same answer as calculating the change in KE.

8. Oct 21, 2016 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Have you quoted the whole question, word for word? It reads a bit strangely.
    If so then I applaud the question setter. It should happen much more often that questions include redundant information. Figuring out which information is useful is a necessary skill in the real world.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted