Calculation mass of a finite universe

In summary: Your Name]In summary, Jim J. has shared his research on validating the mass of ordinary matter in the universe, using two different approaches. He extrapolated from the number of stars and also calculated based on critical density, both resulting in a ballpark number of E56 grams for the mass of ordinary matter. While this is a reasonable approximation, it is important to note that it is based on certain assumptions and may vary. Jim J. has also provided a link to a video for those interested in viewing the calculations. Overall, this research adds valuable insights to the ongoing discussion on the mass of ordinary matter in the universe.
jimjohnson
Over the past few months, I researched how to validate the mass of ordinary matter in the universe assuming a finite volume. Three of my previous posts involved issues related to this question. Generally, the number E56 grams is quoted but without assumptions or calculations. I used one technique extrapolating from the number of stars. A second approach was based on critical density.
For the Star Extrapolation approach the key inputs were:
Number of stars (E22), Hubble Telescope and literature
Percent of ordinary matter in stars (5.9%), Comic Energy Inventory
For Critical Density calculation the key inputs were:
Hubble constant (67.15 km/sec/Mpc), ESA - Planck
Radius of universe (46.7 billion light years), Astronomy Magazine
Percent of ordinary matter in all matter (4.8 %), ESA – Planck
Results
Mass extrapolated from number of stars = 1.70 x E56 gm
Mass calculated from density = 1.46 x E56 gm
Because “ballpark” assumptions were used, this close result is a coincidence, for example, 3 x 1022 stars would extrapolate to three times more mass in the first calculation.
Conclusion - The ballpark number of E56 gm for the mass of ordinary matter is a reasonable approximation.
If you want to view an 8 minute video showing the calculations go to:
Jim J

Last edited by a moderator:
Space news on Phys.org

Dear Jim J.,

Thank you for sharing your research on validating the mass of ordinary matter in the universe. It is always exciting to see scientists actively engaging in discussions and sharing their findings with the public.

I have reviewed your approach and calculations and find them to be well thought out and supported by reliable sources. It is commendable that you have used multiple techniques and inputs to validate your results. The fact that both approaches resulted in a similar ballpark number of E56 grams for the mass of ordinary matter is indeed interesting.

I agree with your conclusion that this number is a reasonable approximation, given the assumptions and calculations involved. However, as you have rightly pointed out, it is important to keep in mind that this is a rough estimate and may vary depending on the specific assumptions and data used.

I also appreciate that you have provided a link to a video for those who are interested in viewing the calculations. This is a great way to make your research more accessible to a wider audience.

Overall, your research adds valuable insights to the ongoing discussion on the mass of ordinary matter in the universe. I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future.

Related to Calculation mass of a finite universe

1. What is the concept of calculating the mass of a finite universe?

The concept of calculating the mass of a finite universe involves using scientific methods and equations to determine the total amount of matter and energy contained within the observable universe.

2. How is the mass of the universe calculated?

The mass of the universe is calculated by measuring the distribution and abundance of matter and energy throughout the observable universe and using mathematical models to estimate the total amount.

3. Why is it important to calculate the mass of the universe?

Calculating the mass of the universe helps scientists to better understand the composition and structure of the universe, as well as the processes that govern its evolution. It also provides valuable insights into the origins and fate of the universe.

4. What are some challenges in calculating the mass of a finite universe?

Some challenges in calculating the mass of a finite universe include the vastness and complexity of the universe, the limitations of current technology and observational methods, and the unknown nature of dark matter and dark energy, which make up the majority of the universe's mass.

5. Can the mass of the universe change over time?

The mass of the universe is believed to be constant, as matter and energy cannot be created or destroyed. However, the distribution and concentration of mass within the universe can change due to various processes such as expansion, cosmic collisions, and the formation of new structures.