1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculation of Ratio

1. Aug 21, 2006 #1
    I have data arranged like this:

So (18,0)--> 5.44 and (15,3)--> 7.63. Now different values of X and Y affect "Value". So it's two indepent variables affecting the depend variable, "Value".

I need to figure out what the exchange rate of X and Y is. In other words, i need the Ratio X=kY where k is a constant of some sort.

My first strategy was to generate 2 random pairs of values for (X,Y) that both give the same "Value". Then, i could deduce the ratio. E.g. If (10,0) and (15,10) give the same Value, then the ratio is 5X=10Y or X =2Y. But this has proven difficult because the values are difficult to generate!

How could i determine the ratio strictly from the 2 columns above (keeping the Value(s) different)?! Is this possible?!
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

If x=18 and y=0, then k=infinity....
  4. Aug 21, 2006 #3
    I know. That's why there must always be a change in both X and Y.

For example, if (15,0) and (10,2) give the same Value, then the ratio is 5X = 2y. And hence, k = 2/5.
  5. Aug 22, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What berkeman is saying is that the function of two variables value(X,Y)=z is not such that given a fixed value of z, the solutions {(X,Y)} are related by a proportionality relation X=kY, because we know that (18,0) is a solution of z(X,Y)=5.44, but there is no k such that 18=k0.

There is however, a k such that k18=0; it is k=0.

In general, the function that will give a relation btw X and Y of the form kX=Y when you fix z is of the form

You can find the values of c_1 and c_2 using the values in your table. Now just generate a 3rd set of value (X,Y,z(X,Y)). If they do not satisfy the above equation, then z(X,Y) is not of this form and givena fixed z, X and Y are not related by a simple proportionality constant. They are related by something more complex.

A simpler way still would be to verify if z(X=0,Y=anything) exists (i.e. is not infinity). If it does, then it is sufficient to conclude that z is not of the above form.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?