Calculate Ratio from Data: X/Y Value Comparison

In summary, Berkeman is looking for a function that will allow him to calculate the ratio of two values, given a fixed value of z. He is considering two strategies; generating two random pairs of values that both give the same value, and determining the ratio strictly from the table.
the_dialogue
I have data arranged like this:

-----------Combo1---------Combo2
X-----------18-----------------15
Y-----------0------------------3
Value------5.44---------------7.63

So (18,0)--> 5.44 and (15,3)--> 7.63. Now different values of X and Y affect "Value". So it's two indepent variables affecting the depend variable, "Value".

I need to figure out what the exchange rate of X and Y is. In other words, i need the Ratio X=kY where k is a constant of some sort.

My first strategy was to generate 2 random pairs of values for (X,Y) that both give the same "Value". Then, i could deduce the ratio. E.g. If (10,0) and (15,10) give the same Value, then the ratio is 5X=10Y or X =2Y. But this has proven difficult because the values are difficult to generate!

How could i determine the ratio strictly from the 2 columns above (keeping the Value(s) different)?! Is this possible?!

Physics news on Phys.org
If x=18 and y=0, then k=infinity...

berkeman said:
If x=18 and y=0, then k=infinity...
I know. That's why there must always be a change in both X and Y.

For example, if (15,0) and (10,2) give the same Value, then the ratio is 5X = 2y. And hence, k = 2/5.

What berkeman is saying is that the function of two variables value(X,Y)=z is not such that given a fixed value of z, the solutions {(X,Y)} are related by a proportionality relation X=kY, because we know that (18,0) is a solution of z(X,Y)=5.44, but there is no k such that 18=k0.

There is however, a k such that k18=0; it is k=0.

In general, the function that will give a relation btw X and Y of the form kX=Y when you fix z is of the form

[tex]z(X,Y)=c_1\frac{Y}{X}+c_2[/tex]

You can find the values of c_1 and c_2 using the values in your table. Now just generate a 3rd set of value (X,Y,z(X,Y)). If they do not satisfy the above equation, then z(X,Y) is not of this form and givena fixed z, X and Y are not related by a simple proportionality constant. They are related by something more complex.

A simpler way still would be to verify if z(X=0,Y=anything) exists (i.e. is not infinity). If it does, then it is sufficient to conclude that z is not of the above form.

Last edited:

1. What is a ratio?

A ratio is a comparison of two quantities or values. It shows the relationship between the two values and is expressed in the form of X to Y or X:Y.

2. How do you calculate a ratio?

To calculate a ratio, you divide one value by the other. For example, if you want to find the ratio of 4 to 8, you would divide 4 by 8 to get a ratio of 1:2.

3. Can a ratio be simplified?

Yes, a ratio can be simplified by dividing both values by their greatest common factor. For example, the ratio 6:12 can be simplified to 1:2 by dividing both values by 6.

4. What can ratios be used for?

Ratios can be used in many different fields, such as finance, science, and cooking. They can be used to compare quantities, make predictions, and solve problems.

5. How is a ratio different from a fraction?

A ratio is a comparison of two values, while a fraction is a part of a whole. Ratios are typically written with a colon or as a fraction, while fractions are always written with a numerator and denominator. Additionally, ratios do not have to be simplified, while fractions are often simplified to their lowest terms.