Calculation of the Truss Member

In summary, the forces on the members AB and BC are 80kN and 100kN respectively, calculated using the equations of equilibrium and moment calculations. The force on member FG can be obtained by cutting around joint F in a complete circle and applying the same method.
yw21

Homework Statement

Calculate the type and magnitude of the forces in the following member.
i) AB
ii) FG
iii) BC

Homework Equations

ƩFx = 0,
ƩFu = 0,
ƩM = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated the AB and BC which are 80kN and 100kN respectively by using
Take moment at G :
(-80 * 12) + (60 * 8) + (40 * 4) + (FAB *4) = 0, and AB is equal to 80kN
Take moment at H:
(-80 * 8) + (60 * 4) + (FBC *4) = 0, and BC is equal to 100kN

Am I right with the concept?

Moreover, I am concered for the calculation of FG. How can I calculate the FG?
Thank you~~~

Attachments

• Truss.png
    Truss.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 583
Physics news on Phys.org
Moreover, the vertical force Fy and Ky are the same as 80kN

I think you are numerically correct but have not assigned a sign to the forces obtained. I think you have mentally done what you are supposed to do, but not stated it or drawn it. The essential step was to cut the structure and replace the cut ends with unknown forces, before applying the three equations of equilibrium to the free body diagram obtained by cutting. To obtain force FG, try cutting around joint F in a complete circle (as distinct from the - implied - straight line cut you used to get the other forces)

Related to Calculation of the Truss Member

1. How do you calculate the forces in a truss member?

To calculate the forces in a truss member, you need to use the method of joints or method of sections. For the method of joints, you will need to draw a free body diagram of each joint and use the equations of equilibrium to solve for the unknown forces. For the method of sections, you will need to draw a section of the truss and use the equations of equilibrium to solve for the unknown forces.

2. What factors affect the calculation of truss member forces?

The factors that affect the calculation of truss member forces include the loading conditions, the geometry of the truss, the material properties of the truss members, and the support conditions at the joints.

3. How do you determine if a truss member is in tension or compression?

A truss member is in tension if it is being pulled apart, and in compression if it is being pushed together. To determine if a truss member is in tension or compression, you can follow the method of joints or method of sections and solve for the forces in the member. If the force is positive, it is in tension, and if it is negative, it is in compression.

4. Can the method of joints and method of sections be used for all types of trusses?

Yes, the method of joints and method of sections can be used for all types of trusses, including simple trusses, compound trusses, and complex trusses. However, the method of joints is more suitable for simple trusses, while the method of sections is more suitable for compound and complex trusses.

5. How do you determine the stability of a truss using truss member calculations?

To determine the stability of a truss, you need to check if the truss is in equilibrium and if the forces in each member are within the yield strength of the material. If the forces are within the yield strength, the truss is stable. If the forces exceed the yield strength, the truss may experience failure or collapse.