Calculus, Analytical demonstration

In summary, the conversation discusses how to demonstrate analytically that if the limit of a function is less than zero, there exists a positive delta value such that when x is in the domain of the function and within the delta range of a, the function's output will also be less than zero. The conversation explores different approaches to reach this conclusion, ultimately using the definition of a limit and taking epsilon to be any number less than L.
araveugnitsug

Homework Statement

Demonstrate Analytically:
If [itex]\lim_{x\to a}f(x)=L[/itex] and L<0, there exists a δ>0 so that x[itex]\in[/itex]Dom(f), 0<|x-a|<δ [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] f(x)<0

2. The attempt at a solution
I start identifying what I want to demonstrate and what are my assumptions.
x[itex]\in[/itex]Dom(f), 0<|x-a|<δ [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] f(x)<0
I'm aware I have to reach f(x)<0 from the fact that L<0 and using the definition of a limit, the x belonging to the domain is there so that it also covers the cases were if not stated, one could get a limit that does not exist due.

So I have:
0<|x-a|<δ and 0<|f(x)-L|<ε
and I suspect the way is not in the delta part but working with 0<|f(x)-L|<ε, but because epsilon is in relation to delta it never banish, meaning I would have to work with the other part.

0<|f(x)-L|
Because L<0 is part of the hypothesis
L<|f(x)-L|+L
L-|f(x)-L|<L
Triangle Inequality
L-|f(x)|-|L|<L
Because L<0 is part of the hypothesis
L-|f(x)|-(-L)<L
L-|f(x)|+L<L
L-|f(x)|<0
-|f(x)|<-L
L<-f(x)<-L
-L>f(x)>L
And I don't know where else to go to get the f(x)<0 form, I simply have no way to get rid of the L in the process without being left with an absolute value on f(x).

Physics news on Phys.org
Using the defintion of limit, take [itex]\epsilon[/itex] to be any number less than L.

It works wonderfully and makes it two simple steps. Thanks.

Though I'm inclined to ask; is this something that can always be done, correlating epsilon with the actual limit?

Related to Calculus, Analytical demonstration

1. What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It involves two main concepts: differentiation, which is used to find the rate of change of a function, and integration, which is used to find the area under a curve.

2. How is Calculus used in real life?

Calculus is used in many fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to model and analyze complex systems and to find optimal solutions. For example, it is used in designing buildings and bridges, predicting weather patterns, and optimizing financial investments.

3. What is the difference between differential and integral calculus?

Differential calculus deals with the instantaneous rate of change of a function, while integral calculus deals with the accumulation of quantities over a given interval. In simpler terms, differential calculus is used to find the slope of a curve at a specific point, while integral calculus is used to find the total area under a curve.

4. What is an analytical demonstration in Calculus?

An analytical demonstration in Calculus is a rigorous mathematical proof that uses logical reasoning and mathematical techniques to show the validity of a mathematical statement or theorem. It involves breaking down a problem into smaller, more manageable parts and analyzing each part separately to reach a conclusion.

5. What are some common applications of analytical demonstration in Calculus?

Analytical demonstration is used in Calculus to prove fundamental theorems such as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and the Mean Value Theorem. It is also used to solve real-world problems such as optimization, finding maximum and minimum values, and determining rates of change. It is a crucial tool in understanding and applying Calculus concepts in various fields.