1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Differentiation Question

1. Aug 4, 2006 #1
    I am just learning calculus, and I have to differentiate a problem. I have worked on it and I have asked people, but they do not know. Here is what I have done thus far:

f(x) = 3x-6 – 8x5 + 9x2/5 + √7
    f(x) = 3(dx-6/dx) – 8(dx5/dx) + 9(dx2/5/dx) + √7(d/dx)
    f(x) = 3(-6x5) – 8(5x4) + 9(2/5x-3/5) + 0
    f(x) = -18x5 – 40x4 + 18/5x-3/5

I am wondering if this is it, or whether I need to do more? If I need to do more, could you say which rule I should use or some other type of advice?

P.S. If it is wrong, could you please tell me as well.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

Your notation is a bit confusing. What is the starting function f(x)? And are you asked to find d[f(x)]/dx? Are all the "x" in your equations the unknown "x", or are some of the multiplication symbols?
  4. Aug 4, 2006 #3
    if you mean that your function is

[tex]f(x) = 3x^{-6} - 8x^5 + 9x^{\frac{2}{5}}+\sqrt{7}[/tex]

and you found that the derivative is

[tex]f^\prime (x) = -18x^5 - 40 x^4 + \frac{18}{5}x^{-\frac{3}{5}},[/tex]

(I don't know why you've written f(x)= at every line when you are trying to differentiate)

then you have made a small error, because

[tex]\frac{d(x^{-6})}{dx} = -6x^{-7},[/tex]

not [itex]-6x^5[/itex]. Other than that it's ok (if I have translated your rather cryptic notation correctly - try to learn LaTeX: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997)
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?