Calculus Differentiation Question

In summary, the person is struggling with differentiating a calculus problem and has asked for help. They have provided their work so far, using notation that is confusing and possibly incorrect. They are unsure if they need to do more and are looking for advice on which rule to use.
ohlhauc1
I am just learning calculus, and I have to differentiate a problem. I have worked on it and I have asked people, but they do not know. Here is what I have done thus far:

f(x) = 3x-6 – 8x5 + 9x2/5 + √7
f(x) = 3(dx-6/dx) – 8(dx5/dx) + 9(dx2/5/dx) + √7(d/dx)
f(x) = 3(-6x5) – 8(5x4) + 9(2/5x-3/5) + 0
f(x) = -18x5 – 40x4 + 18/5x-3/5

I am wondering if this is it, or whether I need to do more? If I need to do more, could you say which rule I should use or some other type of advice?

Thanks

P.S. If it is wrong, could you please tell me as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your notation is a bit confusing. What is the starting function f(x)? And are you asked to find d[f(x)]/dx? Are all the "x" in your equations the unknown "x", or are some of the multiplication symbols?

if you mean that your function is

[tex]f(x) = 3x^{-6} - 8x^5 + 9x^{\frac{2}{5}}+\sqrt{7}[/tex]

and you found that the derivative is

[tex]f^\prime (x) = -18x^5 - 40 x^4 + \frac{18}{5}x^{-\frac{3}{5}},[/tex]

(I don't know why you've written f(x)= at every line when you are trying to differentiate)

then you have made a small error, because

[tex]\frac{d(x^{-6})}{dx} = -6x^{-7},[/tex]

not [itex]-6x^5[/itex]. Other than that it's ok (if I have translated your rather cryptic notation correctly - try to learn LaTeX: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997)

Last edited:

1. What is calculus differentiation?

Calculus differentiation is a mathematical concept that involves finding the rate of change of a function or curve at a specific point. It is a fundamental tool in calculus and is used to solve problems related to rates of change, optimization, and motion.

2. How is calculus differentiation different from algebraic differentiation?

Calculus differentiation considers the limit as the change in input approaches zero, while algebraic differentiation involves finding the derivative at a specific point by using the rules of differentiation. Additionally, calculus differentiation deals with functions that are continuously changing, while algebraic differentiation deals with discrete values.

3. What are the different methods of calculus differentiation?

There are several methods of calculus differentiation, including the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, chain rule, and implicit differentiation. These methods allow us to find the derivative of different types of functions, such as polynomials, exponential and logarithmic functions, and trigonometric functions.

4. How is calculus differentiation used in real life?

Calculus differentiation has many applications in real life, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to model and analyze real-world phenomena, such as the velocity of a moving object, the growth rate of a population, and the rate of change of stock prices.

5. What are the common mistakes made in calculus differentiation?

Some common mistakes made in calculus differentiation include forgetting to apply the chain rule, mixing up the power rule and product rule, and incorrectly identifying the variable to differentiate with respect to. It is important to carefully follow the rules and pay attention to the details to avoid these mistakes.