Calculus II - Trigonometric Substitutions, Explanation Please

In summary, the conversation is about evaluating the integral of sqrt(9-x^2)/x dx. The person initially had an equation in terms of theta, but needed to change it back to terms of x. They solved for theta and used the triangle method to get the final equation of -3 ln|csc(sin^-1(x/2)+cot(sin^-1(x/3))|+3cos(sin^-1(x/3)+c=-3ln((sqrt(9-x^2)+3)/x)+sqrt(9-x^2)+c.
GreenPrint
Evaluate

integral sqrt(9-x^2)/x dx

I get to here

-3 ln|csc(sin^-1(x/2)+cot(sin^-1(x/3))|+3cos(sin^-1(x/3)+c

I plugged in for theta because originally I had this

-3 ln|csc(theta)+cot(theta)|+3cos(theta)+c

and I set x equal to a expression

x=3sin(theta)

Hence i had to change my equation back to terms of x because the original integral was in terms of so by solving for theta

theta=sin^-1(x/3)

-3 ln|csc(theta)+cot(theta)|+3cos(theta)+c = -3 ln|csc(sin^-1(x/2)+cot(sin^-1(x/3))|+3cos(sin^-1(x/3)+c

but I'm lost as to why

-3 ln|csc(sin^-1(x/2)+cot(sin^-1(x/3))|+3cos(sin^-1(x/3)+c=-3ln((sqrt(9-x^2)+3)/x)+sqrt(9-x^2)+c

and was hoping someone could explain why

Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind i think i got it it's a triangle

1. What is Calculus II?

Calculus II is the second course in a sequence of college-level mathematics courses that focuses on advanced topics in calculus. It typically covers techniques of integration, applications of integration, infinite sequences and series, and polar and parametric equations.

2. What are trigonometric substitutions?

Trigonometric substitutions are a technique used in calculus to simplify integrals involving trigonometric functions. They involve substituting a trigonometric expression for a variable in an integral, which can sometimes make the integral easier to solve.

3. Why are trigonometric substitutions useful?

Trigonometric substitutions can be useful in solving integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve using traditional integration techniques. They allow us to rewrite integrals in terms of trigonometric functions, which can be easier to integrate.

4. How do you choose which trigonometric substitution to use?

The choice of which trigonometric substitution to use depends on the form of the integral. There are several common substitutions, such as using the identities sin^2x + cos^2x = 1 or tan^2x + 1 = sec^2x, that can be used in different situations. It is important to carefully analyze the integral and choose the substitution that will lead to the simplest expression.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using trigonometric substitutions?

One common mistake is forgetting to use the appropriate trigonometric identity when substituting into the integral. It is also important to check for any restrictions on the domain of the original integral, as these may affect the final answer. Additionally, it is important to carefully handle any trigonometric identities involving square roots, as these can sometimes lead to incorrect solutions.