Calculus Integration Problem: Need Help from Math Experts!

• Thread starter rasensuriken
  • Start date
In summary: Sorry. I was off by a minus sign. : ) That's what I get for jumping into the middle of a thread without reading the previous posts. : )So we're even. No hard feelings, OK? : )In summary, a user asks for help with a calculus problem involving integration and provides a screenshot of the problem. Other users offer various methods and approaches to solve the problem, including completing the square, partial fraction decomposition, and substitution. The discussion also includes a brief debate about the definition of a rational function and a minor error is corrected.
rasensuriken
Math experts please come!

b]1. Homework Statement [/b]

Calculus, integration

Homework Equations

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/6091/questiontc3.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

used method:changing variable, by part, trigo etc but no avail.:confused: Please help me solve it, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
SD, Your kidding, right? Didn't your high school math teacher make you do a "time out" whenever misused the square root that way?

Last edited:
Rewrite the argument x^2-x by "completing the square" . "u" substitution follows.

rasensuriken said:
b]1. Homework Statement [/b]

Calculus, integration

Homework Equations

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/6091/questiontc3.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

used method:changing variable, by part, trigo etc but no avail.:confused: Please help me solve it, thanks.

Did you try a U substition with U = X^2 - X and dU = 2x - 1 dx?

Last edited by a moderator:
When you meet the problem asking you to integrate something like:
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{(ax + b) ^ {m} \sqrt{c x ^ 2 + dx + e}}[/tex], what you should do is to let:
[tex]ax + b = \frac{1}{t}[/tex]
--------------------
So, here, we go:
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{(2x + 1) \sqrt{x ^ 2 - x}}[/tex]
For [tex]\sqrt{x ^ 2 - x}[/tex] to be valid, x can only be in the interval [tex]] - \infty ; 0 ] \unity [1 ; + \infty [ [/tex]
Let
[tex]2x + 1 = \frac{1}{t} \quad \mbox{or} \quad x = \frac{1}{2} \left( \frac{1}{t} - 1 \right)[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow 2dx = -\frac{dt}{t ^ 2}[/tex]
The integral becomes:
[tex]- \int \frac{\frac{dt}{2 t ^ 2}}{\frac{1}{t} \sqrt{ \left[ \frac{1}{2} \left( \frac{1}{t} - 1 \right) \right] ^ 2 - \frac{1}{2} \left( \frac{1}{t} - 1 \right)}}[/tex]

[tex]= - \int \frac{dt}{2t\sqrt{ \left[ \frac{1}{4} \left( \frac{1}{t ^ 2} - \frac{2}{t} + 1 \right) \right] - \left( \frac{1}{2t} - \frac{1}{2} \right)}}[/tex]

[tex]= - \int \frac{dt}{2t\sqrt{\frac{1}{4 t ^ 2} - \frac{1}{t} + \frac{3}{4}}}[/tex]

[tex]= - \int \frac{dt}{t \sqrt{\frac{1}{t ^ 2} - \frac{4}{t} + 3}}[/tex]

[tex]= \pm \int \frac{dt}{\sqrt{1 - 4t + 3 t ^ 2}}[/tex]
Can you go from here? :)

Last edited:
Forget what I had written here

Last edited:
gammamcc said:
I vote for Man Monkey's approach.

Won't work because the integrand has dx/(2x-1) and not (2x-1)dx.

The best approach here is partial fraction decomp.

Let 1=A(2x-1) + B(x^2-x)^1/2

Set x=1 , A=1
Set x=1/2 , B=2i

Then integrate the new functions 1/(x^2-x)^1/2 and 2i/(2x-1)

EDIT: The function 1/(x^2-x)^1/2 can be broken down further into |x^1/2|(x-1)^1/2 or into ((x-x^1/2)(x+x^1/2))^1/2, though the first of these two should look familiar.

Last edited:
(x^2-x)^(1/2) = x - x^(1/2) is not true. You can check by multiplying the RHS with itself.

Schrodinger's Dog said:
What they're equivalent, just trying to help? Thought it might be easier if he got rid of the sqrt.:smile:

[tex]\sqrt{4^{2}-4}=\sqrt{16-4}=\sqrt{12}=2=4-\sqrt{4}[/tex]
Fascinating..

arildno said:
[tex]\sqrt{4^{2}-4}=\sqrt{16-4}=\sqrt{12}=2=4-\sqrt{4}[/tex]
Fascinating..

OK my bad. I was thinking of [tex]\sqrt{x^2} - \sqrt{x}[/tex]

In my defence I had just finished a long and arduous day at work and wasn't really thinking:eek: sorry.

I deleted it, still the shame lives on... I'll go bury myself under a pile of soil and pretend I'm dead :smile:

For my next trick I'll prove Fermat's last theorem in a new and exciting way whilst drunk :/

Last edited:
going with my first reply

Opps, I got fooled. Monkey Man's answer seemed so slick. I now vote for my own approach. It boils down to a constant times integral of
1/(u sqrt(u^2 -a^2))

"complete the square."

I don't trust partial fractions since we don't have a rational function.

gammamcc said:
I don't trust partial fractions since we don't have a rational function.

Your kidding right? So 1/((2x-1)(x^2-x)^1/2) is not a rational function?

Nope, It's not. Rational functions are ratios of polynomials.

So 1/x is no longer rational?

is too

(no square root in that one)

what does the square root matter?

In that case, u=2x-1

1/u(((u+1)2)^2-(u+1)/2)^1/2

Plastic Photon said:
what does the square root matter?
Look up the definition of a polynomial.

Thanks vietdao29. Ya i can go from there...I am a form 4 student studying integration on my own. Hope these can help me in form 5 and form 6.

There is an easier way. I had the quickest way expect that I got diss'ed over partial fractions. You shouldn't have to rely on megaformulas.

[tex]u=\sqrt{x^2-x}[/tex]
[tex]du=\frac{(2x-1)dx}{2\sqrt{x^2-x}}[/tex]
[tex]\int{\frac{dx}{(2x-1)\sqrt{x^2-x}}}=\int{\frac{2du}{(2x-1)^2}}=\int{\frac{2du}{4u^2+1}}[/tex]

Last edited:
I agree except for the last step.

In case no one was paying attention, see my attachment for the quick way.

Attachments

• answerme.doc
    18 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
tim_lou said:
[tex]u=\sqrt{x^2-x}[/tex]
[tex]du=\frac{(2x-1)dx}{2\sqrt{x^2-x}}[/tex]
[tex]\int{\frac{dx}{(2x-1)\sqrt{x^2-x}}}=\int{\frac{2du}{(2x-1)^2}}=\int{\frac{2du}{4u+1}}[/tex]

[tex]\int{\frac{2du}{(2x-1)^2}}=\int{\frac{2du}{(2u)^2+1}}[/tex] Very easy now, form of arctan integral.

I don't agree. Forgetting what "u" is and applying bad algebra. Is anyone reading my attachment?

We can't. Your attachment is "Pending Approval" by a Mentor to make sure your not a predator give us viruses :)

Bad algebra? Where did he forget what u was?

gammamcc said:
In case no one was paying attention, see my attachment for the quick way.

that is the solution

Gib Z said:
Bad algebra? Where did he forget what u was?

Because

[tex]u=/sqrt{x^2-x}[/tex]

[tex]{(2x-1)^2}={4x^2}-4x+1={4u^2}+1[/tex]

oops, forgot the square...fixed. hehe:biggrin:

Last edited:
OK PP. I needed more convincing.

Did you guys notice that I fixed tim_lou's error in the post right after his?

OK. If it comes down to pistols at dawn, I'll be busy.

: )

1. What is Calculus Integration?

Calculus Integration is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. It is an important tool in mathematics and is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. Why is Calculus Integration important?

Calculus Integration is important because it allows us to find the exact value of quantities that are continuously changing. It is also used to solve real-world problems such as finding the velocity of an object, calculating the area of irregular shapes, and determining the total profit of a business.

3. How do I solve a Calculus Integration problem?

To solve a Calculus Integration problem, you need to follow a specific set of steps. First, you need to identify the function and the interval of integration. Then, you need to use integration rules and techniques to find the antiderivative of the function. Finally, you can evaluate the definite integral using the limits of the interval.

4. What are some common integration techniques?

Some common integration techniques include substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, and partial fractions. These techniques are used to simplify the integrand and make it easier to find the antiderivative.

5. How can I improve my Calculus Integration skills?

To improve your Calculus Integration skills, it is important to practice regularly and solve a variety of problems. You can also seek help from math experts or join study groups to discuss and learn from others. Additionally, understanding the concepts and formulas thoroughly can also help in improving your integration skills.