Calc 2 Integration Area Problem

Answers and Replies

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed

Homework Statement

Please help me solve the calc problem pictured!

Homework Equations

y=3-x^2 and y=x+1

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is in one of the photos!
Type the problem statement, and your solution. Your images are not readable on my devices, and so I am unable to help or give hints.

For more on this issue, see the post "Guidelines for students and helpers", by Vela.

The region R is bounded by y=3−x^2 and y=x+1.
The area of the region can be found by integrating: integral from 1 to 2 ______dy + integral from 2 to 3 ______dy
For the first blank I had (sqrt(3-y))-(y-1) and for the second I had (sqrt(3-y)-2)
These are both wrong according to the system

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
The area of the region can be found by integrating: integral from 1 to 2 ______dy + integral from 2 to 3 ______dy
For the first blank I had (sqrt(3-y))-(y-1) and for the second I had (sqrt(3-y)-2)
So, the problem statement is asking you to find the area the hard way; integrating with respect to ##x## would be a lot easier.

Anyway, to see the ##x##-limits in the ##y##-integrals, you should start by drawing a picture of your region. The first (vertically lower) region goes from a negative value of ##y## to a positive value, and for each such ##y##, from a smaller (sometimes negative, sometimes positive) value of ##x## to a larger value of ##x##---giving a positive ##x##-length. You have your first integral going from a large value of ##x## to a smaller one---giving a negative ##x##-length.

You seem to be assuming that ##x## must be positive, but that is not stated anywhere in the problem as you wrote it.

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Could you explain to us how you came up with your attempt?