Integral of f(x): Get Answer Here

• Thread starter Hamal_Arietis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: Acos(at)+Bsin(at)+1=A+1$$$$Asin(at)-Bcos(at)=0$$$$sin(at)(Acos(at)+Bsin(at))=0$$So we have:$$f(t)=0 ∨ at=\frac{\pi}{4}+k\pi (k∈Z)$$So the answer is:$$f(x)=\frac{\pi}{a}+1$$Is this right?Sorry, I don't understand your idea. Can you give me some document about it?. This problem is an examination for high school students to entrance university. I have learned that:If ##F(x)=\int_a^xf(t)dt## then:
Hamal_Arietis

Homework Statement

Find f(x) if:(a∈R)
$$f(x)=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{a}}f(t)cos(at-2ax)dt+1$$

Homework Equations

$$f(x)=\int_{a}^{b}f(t)dt=F(a)-F(b)$$
$$\int{udv}=uv-\int{vdu}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use the fundamental of calculus and integration by parts but they don't have answer. Because cos(at-2ax) confuses me.
Thank for helping

Physics news on Phys.org
Hamal_Arietis said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I tried to use the fundamental of calculus and integration by parts but they don't have answer. Because cos(at-2ax) confuses me.
Thank for helping

The fundamental theorem may not help, since you don't know an antiderivative of [itex]f[/itex].

Instead use [itex]\cos(at - 2ax) = \cos(at)\cos(2ax) + \sin(at)\sin(2ax)[/itex] to obtain [tex]
f(x) = 1 + \cos(2ax)\int_0^{\pi/a}f(t)\cos(at)\,dt + \sin(2ax)\int_0^{\pi/a}f(t)\sin(at)\,dt.[/tex] Now set [itex]A = \int_0^{\pi/a} f(t) \cos(at)\,dt[/itex], [itex]B = \int_0^{\pi/a} f(t) \sin(at)\,dt[/itex] so that [itex]f(t) = 1 + A\cos(2at) + B\sin(2at)[/itex] and you can obtain a pair of simultaneous equations to be solved for [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex].

Likes Hamal_Arietis
pasmith said:
so that ##f(t)=1+Acos(2at)+Bsin(2at)f(t)=1+Acos⁡(2at)+Bsin⁡(2at)f(t) = 1 + A\cos(2at) + B\sin(2at) ##and you can obtain a pair of simultaneous equations to be solved for A and B.
Thanks, I understood. Another equation is:
$$f(t)=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{a}}f(t)cos(at)dt+1=A+1$$
But we must find f(t), A, B while we have 2 equations?

Oh, I see:
$$A=Acos(2at)+Bsin(2at)$$
$$A(1-cos(2at))=Bsin(2at)$$
$$2Acos^2(at)=2Bsin(at)cos(at)$$
$$cos(at)(Acos(at)-Bsin(at))=0$$
So we have:
$$\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{a}}f(t)cos^2(at)dt=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{a}}f(t)sin^2(at)dt \Rightarrow f(t)cos^2(at)=f(t)sin^2(at)\Leftrightarrow f(t)=0 ∨ at=\frac{\pi}{4}+k\pi (k∈Z)$$
So the answer is:
$$f(x)=\frac{\pi}{a}+1$$
Is this right?

Last edited:
Hamal_Arietis said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Thank for helping

Try looking at ##f'(x)## and ##f''(x)##, to see if ##f(x)## obeys a simple differential equation.

Hamal_Arietis said:
Oh, I see:
Where did this come from?

$$\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{a}}f(t)cos^2(at)dt=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{a}}f(t)sin^2(at)dt \Rightarrow f(t)cos^2(at)=f(t)sin^2(at)$$
No. You can't infer that because the two integrals are equal the two integrands are equal.

What pasmith suggested was you have an expression for f(t) in terms of A and B. Plug that into the expressions that define what A and B are and evaluate the integrals. You'll end up with two equations which you can solve for A and B.

Hamal_Arietis said:
Oh, I see:
$$A(1-cos(2at))=Bsin(2at)$$
$$2Acos^2(at)=2Bsin(at)cos(at)$$
$$cos(at)(Acos(at)-Bsin(at))=0$$
So we have:
$$\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{a}}f(t)cos^2(at)dt=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{a}}f(t)sin^2(at)dt \Rightarrow f(t)cos^2(at)=f(t)sin^2(at)\Leftrightarrow f(t)=0 ∨ at=\frac{\pi}{4}+k\pi (k∈Z)$$
So the answer is:
$$f(x)=\frac{\pi}{a}+1$$
Is this right?

No, it is not right. I suggest you go back and look at post #5.

vela said:
Where did this come from?No. You can't infer that because the two integrals are equal the two integrands are equal.

What pasmith suggested was you have an expression for f(t) in terms of A and B. Plug that into the expressions that define what A and B are and evaluate the integrals. You'll end up with two equations which you can solve for A and B.
Both equations are:
$$f(t)=A+1$$
$$f(t)=1+Acos(2at)+Bsin(2at)$$
So ##A=Acos(2at)+Bsin(2at)##
and I transfer it into:
$$\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{a}}f(t)cos^2(at)dt=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{a}}f(t)sin^2(at)dt$$

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
Try looking at ##f'(x)## and ##f''(x)##, to see if ##f(x)## obeys a simple differential equation.
I try to find f'(x) by the fundamental of calculus before but it don't have answer

Hamal_Arietis said:
I try to find f'(x) by the fundamental of calculus before but it don't have answer

You can find a formula for
$$\frac{d}{dx} \int_a^b h(x,t) \, dt$$
It has nothing to do with the fundamental theorem of calculus.

Likes Hamal_Arietis
Ray Vickson said:
You can find a formula for
$$\frac{d}{dx} \int_a^b h(x,t) \, dt$$
It has nothing to do with the fundamental theorem of calculus.
Sorry, I don't understand your idea. Can you give me some document about it?. This problem is an examination for high school students to entrance university. I have learned that:
If ##F(x)=\int_a^xf(t)dt## then:
$$\frac{d}{dx}F(x)=\frac{d}{dx}\int_a^xf(t)dt=f(x)$$

Hamal_Arietis said:
Both equations are:
$$f(t)=A+1$$
Where did this come from? Note the lefthand side depends on ##t##, but the righthand side is a constant. It doesn't look right to me.

You have ##f(t) = 1 + A \cos 2at + B \sin 2at## where ##A = \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{a}}f(t)\cos at\,dt##. Plug the expression for ##f(t)## into the definition of ##A## and evaluate the integral.

vela said:
Where did this come from? Note the lefthand side depends on ##t##, but the righthand side is a constant. It doesn't look right to me.

You have ##f(t) = 1 + A \cos 2at + B \sin 2at## where ##A = \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{a}}f(t)\cos at\,dt##. Plug the expression for ##f(t)## into the definition of ##A## and evaluate the integral.
$$A=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{a}}f(t)\cos at\,dt$$
$$A=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{a}}( 1 + A \cos 2at + B \sin 2at)cos(at)dt$$
$$A=\frac{4B}{3a}$$
And $$B=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{a}}( 1 + A \cos 2at + B \sin 2at)sin(at)dt$$
$$B=\frac{2}{a}+\frac{2A}{3a}=\frac{6+2A}{3a}$$
Then solve both equation:
$$A=\frac{24}{9a^2-8};B=\frac{18a}{9a^2-8}$$

Hamal_Arietis said:
$$A=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{a}}f(t)\cos at\,dt$$
$$A=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{a}}( 1 + A \cos 2at + B \sin 2at)cos(at)dt$$
$$A=\frac{4B}{3a}$$
And $$B=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{a}}( 1 + A \cos 2at + B \sin 2at)sin(at)dt$$
$$B=\frac{2}{a}+\frac{2A}{3a}=\frac{6+2A}{3a}$$
Then solve both equation:
$$A=\frac{24}{9a^2-8};B=\frac{18a}{9a^2-8}$$
Almost OK: the ##B##-equation should be
$$B=\frac{2}{a} - \frac{2A}{3a},$$
which changes the final solution a bit.

Likes Hamal_Arietis

1. What is the purpose of finding the integral of a function?

The integral of a function is used to calculate the area under the curve of the function. This is useful in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and statistics.

2. How is the integral of a function calculated?

The integral of a function is calculated using a mathematical process called integration. There are several methods of integration, including the fundamental theorem of calculus and substitution.

3. What is the difference between indefinite and definite integrals?

An indefinite integral represents the general antiderivative of a function, while a definite integral calculates the exact area under the curve between specific limits. In other words, an indefinite integral gives a function, while a definite integral gives a numerical value.

4. Can the integral of a function be negative?

Yes, the integral of a function can be negative if the function has negative values. The integral represents the net area under the curve, so if there are areas above and below the x-axis, they can cancel each other out and result in a negative value.

5. What is the relationship between the integral and the derivative of a function?

The integral and the derivative are inverse operations of each other. The derivative calculates the rate of change of a function, while the integral calculates the accumulation of that rate of change. They are related by the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the derivative of an integral is equal to the original function.