Solve Calculus Question: dx/dt = -(2x)/(50+t)

• Thread starter geowills
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving for x solely in terms of t, given the equation dx/dt = -(2x)/(50+t). The individual had attempted to rearrange the equation to make it separable, but encountered difficulties. They were advised to show their attempts and were reminded to cross-multiply to obtain a more manageable expression.
geowills
What is dx/dt = -(2x)/(50+t) if you solve for x solely in terms of t? I tried to rearrange to make it separable but keep getting stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework questions are supposed to follow some guidelines: what have you done, give an example of your rearrangements that get stuck. That seems like an easy DE to solve since you can put the x's (and dx) on one side and the t's (and dt) on the other.

geowills said:
What is dx/dt = -(2x)/(50+t) if you solve for x solely in terms of t? I tried to rearrange to make it separable but keep getting stuck.

You did the same mistake I did when I started asking questions here and initially didn't show my attempt for a solution. As I did notice it myself later on...it actually helps if you show at least one of your attempts - even for self-reflection about the problem. Have you tried to cross-multiply?

Surely you know how to multiply, so obtaining this expression should be trivial:

[tex] \frac{dx}{dt} = - \frac{2x}{50+t} \implies \frac{dx}{2x}=- \frac{dt}{50+t}[/tex]

Now, integrate both sides and then solve for x.

Related to Solve Calculus Question: dx/dt = -(2x)/(50+t)

1. What does "dx/dt" represent in this equation?

The notation "dx/dt" represents the derivative of the function x with respect to t. In other words, it represents the rate of change of x with respect to t.

2. How do I solve for x in this equation?

To solve for x in this equation, you can use the separation of variables method. This involves isolating all terms with x on one side of the equation and all terms with t on the other side. Then, you can integrate both sides to find the solution for x.

3. What is the significance of the negative sign in front of the fraction?

The negative sign indicates that the rate of change of x is decreasing with respect to t. This means that as t increases, x decreases at a certain rate. In other words, the function x(t) is decreasing over time.

4. Can this equation be solved using a calculator?

No, this equation cannot be solved using a calculator. It requires techniques from calculus, specifically integration, to find the solution for x.

5. Is this equation commonly used in real-world applications?

Yes, this type of equation is commonly used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It represents a relationship between two variables where one variable is changing at a certain rate with respect to the other variable.