Question about arc length and the condition dx/dt > 0

In summary, the condition dx/dt > 0 is necessary in order for the integral formula for arc length to work. If dx/dt < 0, then the arc length will be different from what is expected.
songoku
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
none
This is not homework

1686303490716.png

That passage is from James Stewart (Multivariable Calculus). I want to ask about the condition dx/dt > 0. If dx / dt < 0, the formula can't be used?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not ? Can you find a counter-example ?

Likes songoku
BvU said:
Why not ? Can you find a counter-example ?
In my opinion, it can because from the derivation I don't see the need for dx/dt to be positive.

I just don't understand why dx / dt > 0 is written there in the text.

Thanks

songoku said:
I just don't understand why dx / dt > 0 is written there in the text.
If dx/dt > 0 then then x is increasing. Conversely, if dx/dt < 0 then x is decreasing.

Consider the parametric curve ##x = \sin(t), y = 1## for ##t \in [0, \pi]##. Graph this simple "curve" and determine its arc length from your graph. What does the integral formula for arc length of this curve produce?

Likes songoku
The length of a curve should be the same, whether you start measuring it from the left end ([itex]dx/dt > 0[/itex]) or the right end ([itex]dx/dt < 0[/itex]). Some details of the derivation will change if [itex]dx/dt < 0[/itex]; in particular the assumption that [itex]f(\alpha) = a < b = f(\beta)[/itex] must be replaced by [itex]f(\alpha) = b > a = f(\beta)[/itex].

Likes songoku
Mark44 said:
If dx/dt > 0 then then x is increasing. Conversely, if dx/dt < 0 then x is decreasing.

Consider the parametric curve ##x = \sin(t), y = 1## for ##t \in [0, \pi]##. Graph this simple "curve" and determine its arc length from your graph. What does the integral formula for arc length of this curve produce?
The graph is horizontal line y = 1 and 0 ≤ x ≤ 1.

I think the arc length should be 2 because the curve is traversed twice, once from left to right for 0 ≤ t ≤ π/2 and then from right to left for π/2 ≤ t ≤ π.

From integration, I get zero

pasmith said:
The length of a curve should be the same, whether you start measuring it from the left end ([itex]dx/dt > 0[/itex]) or the right end ([itex]dx/dt < 0[/itex]). Some details of the derivation will change if [itex]dx/dt < 0[/itex]; in particular the assumption that [itex]f(\alpha) = a < b = f(\beta)[/itex] must be replaced by [itex]f(\alpha) = b > a = f(\beta)[/itex].
I think I understand more clearly now from your post and Mark's example. The condition dx / dt > 0 is to ensure the curve is traversed once, only from left to right. If I want to use integration to find the arc length, I need to divide it into two cases, for 0 ≤ t ≤ π/2 and π/2 ≤ t ≤ π then subtract.

Thank you very much for the help and explanation BvU, Mark44, pasmith

What is arc length?

Arc length is the distance along a curve or arc. It is measured in units such as meters or feet and can be calculated using mathematical formulas.

What is the condition dx/dt > 0?

The condition dx/dt > 0 refers to the derivative of the variable x with respect to time. It means that the rate of change of x is positive, indicating that x is increasing over time.

Why is the condition dx/dt > 0 important in calculating arc length?

The condition dx/dt > 0 is important because it ensures that the arc length is continuously increasing. This is necessary for accurately calculating the total distance traveled along a curve or arc.

Can the condition dx/dt > 0 be negative?

Yes, the condition dx/dt > 0 can be negative. This would indicate that the rate of change of x is negative, meaning that x is decreasing over time. However, in the context of calculating arc length, a negative value for dx/dt would not be relevant as it would result in a negative arc length, which is not possible.

How is the condition dx/dt > 0 used in real-world applications?

The condition dx/dt > 0 is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion of objects. It is also used in calculus to determine the rate of change of a variable over time. In real-world applications, it can help predict the future behavior of a system or object.